Show that the symmetric group S_n has elements of all order

In summary, the homework statement claims that if ##1 \leq d \leq n##, then ##S_n## contains elements of order d. However, the proof is not rigorous and might need some extra assumptions.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Prove that if ##1 \leq d \leq n##, then ##S_n## contains elements of order d.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my idea. The order of the identity permutation is 1. Written in cycle notation, the order of (1,2) is 2, the order of (1,2,3) is 3, the order of (1,2,3,4) is 4, and in general the order of (1,2,3,4,...,n-1,n) is n. It would seem that this shows that if ##1 \leq d \leq n##, then ##S_n## contains elements of order d.

However, I am not sure how rigorous this is. Do I need to make an induction argument that in general (1,2,3,4,...,n-1,n) has order n, or is it fine as it is?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:
However, I am not sure how rigorous this is. Do I need to make an induction argument that in general (1,2,3,4,...,n-1,n) has order n, or is it fine as it is?
This only depends on whom it is meant for. For me, it is o.k., but I already had the same thought as I've read the question. For someone in high school, some kind of reasoning might be helpful. You don't need an induction here, because you can show it directly for ##(1,2,\ldots,n)## and the knowledge that ##(1,2,\ldots,n-1)## is of order ##n-1## is of no help for ##(1,2,\ldots,n)^n=1\, : \,## You would have to write
$$ \begin{align*}(1,2,\ldots,n)^n &= [(1,2,\ldots,n-1) \cdot (n,n-1)]^n \\ &= (1,2,\ldots,n-1) \cdot (n,n-1) \cdot \ldots \cdot (1,2,\ldots,n-1) \cdot (n,n-1) \end{align*}$$
and deal with the fact, that the permutations are not commutative, which would make it unnecessarily complicated.

Thus simply take any number ##i\in \{1,2,\ldots,n\}## and justify why it takes ##n## turns to reach ##i## again.

Okay, that answers my question.

On a related note, how would I prove that the order of a cycle is equal to its length? It seems very obvious, but I can't quite see how to formalize a proof

Mr Davis 97 said:
Okay, that answers my question.

On a related note, how would I prove that the order of a cycle is equal to its length? It seems very obvious, but I can't quite see how to formalize a proof
Just count the steps: ##i \mapsto i+1 \mapsto \ldots \mapsto n \mapsto 1 \mapsto \ldots \mapsto i-1 \mapsto i## where you have to be careful at the turning point ##n## with the counting (e.g. I tend to make a mistake by one at this point) and remark, that there is no way of getting back to ##1## earlier.

Or assume ## {(1,2,\ldots,n)}^m = 1 = id## which is ## {i}+m \cdot 1 = 1({i}) = i \mod n ## for all ##1 \leq i \leq n## and show that this can only be true for ##m=n##.

Likes Mr Davis 97

Related to Show that the symmetric group S_n has elements of all order

1. What is the symmetric group S_n?

The symmetric group S_n is a mathematical group that consists of all possible permutations of n distinct objects. In other words, it is the group of all possible ways to rearrange n objects.

2. How do you show that the symmetric group S_n has elements of all order?

To show that the symmetric group S_n has elements of all order, we can use the fact that the order of a permutation is equal to the least common multiple of the lengths of its disjoint cycles. Since S_n contains all possible permutations of n objects, it also contains all possible lengths of disjoint cycles, and therefore has elements of all order.

3. What does it mean for an element to have "all order" in the symmetric group S_n?

An element having "all order" in the symmetric group S_n means that it has a cyclic structure with a length that is relatively prime to all other lengths of cycles in the group. This means that the element cannot be expressed as a product of smaller cycles, and therefore has the maximum possible order in the group.

4. Can you provide an example of an element with all order in the symmetric group S_n?

One example of an element with all order in the symmetric group S_n is the n-cycle (1 2 3 ... n). This permutation has a length of n, which is relatively prime to all other possible lengths of cycles in S_n, making it an element with all order.

5. Why is it important to show that the symmetric group S_n has elements of all order?

Showing that the symmetric group S_n has elements of all order is important because it helps us understand the structure and properties of the group. It also allows us to use these elements to generate other elements through conjugation, which can be useful in solving problems in various areas of mathematics, such as group theory and combinatorics.