How long have you posted on Physics Forums?

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about how long each person has been posting on Physics Forums. Some members have been on since the beginning, while others joined at later dates. One member joined in search of help for a physics assignment and has been hooked ever since. Another member was introduced to the forum through a link on a C++ forum and was amazed by the discussions on string theory. Some members have taken breaks from posting, but have recently returned. One member who hasn't posted in a while was welcomed back by other members who remember their past contributions. The conversation also includes discussions about the intelligence and contributions of some members, as well as the changes and upgrades of the forum over the years.

• Total voters
Loren Booda

Physics news on Phys.org
Loren, would you care to go first?

BoulderHead! You responded in negative time!

When I signed up PF2 was about 1 month old, that was December of ??

signed up in july 2001, an old member/moderator (typeo) introduced me to this forum. been addicted ever since.

Here since the beginning...more or less. Something like Jan 2001? Introduced to PF by Niqque. Anyone remember her?

I joined in the first week or two of PF 2.0. I was invited by Greg (IIRC) after posting on sci.physics *shudder* for a while. Probably the only piece of non-spam mail I got from posting my addy on that cess-pool.

A lady at the American Physical Society directed me here in March 2001, I believe.

Hello everybody,

My name is Gokul.

I've been here 3 months, and I'm addicted to PF. It's been about ten minutes since I last posted, and I post about 10 times a day. Sometimes, I wake up in the middle of the night, and need to post on PF before I can go back to sleep. I check PF first thing in the morning (before I read the news), and it's the last thing I do before going to bed.

Help me !

Unless you've been here since before March 2003, it says when you joined beneath your user name.

Joined 3/11/02. I was out of work and dying for some conversation about physics with other people, so I typed "physics chat message board forum" into Google, and found PF.

Long ago...
Once in a month. A couple of months ago, I posted daily but then I had no time, and had to stop and asked someone to come and take care of the stuff.
When I came back and read some of what I missed, amazingly found some misunderstood my words which were taken from Homey Simpson with my "momentarily" angry ones...
What is the prize for a win after all ? (*_*)

I joined in november 2002 and was quickly attracted by the rants of Donde about the number pi and its finiteness
Impayable

Whatever the date to the left says...

Since PF2.. with long breaks in between. At one stage i was obsessed, then it died down. Now i read, more than post..
i came to the forums for help with a year 11 physics assignment, now in my second year of uni.. it's been a while to say the least LoL

I came looking for some ranodom stuff to read about string theory. I was amazed by the abundance of ideas in this forum. I've been hoocked ever since, but I mostly just read since most of the time I have no idea what is going on.

I got here from M. Kaku's website... this is probably one of the best places to converse physics/other sciences.

I've been around for less than two weeks... I'm definitely a n00b here.

I was introduced to this forum via a link on a C++ forum. Someone was suggesting that we add the formula creation capabilities of this site to the forum. I followed their link to check it out, and was blown away by what I saw.

My main attraction to this site is that I don't really know that much about the material it encompasses. I've always thought about becoming a physicist, but I haven't ever really taken the time to seriously learn about physics outside of the tiny bits of it taught at school. It's a humbling experience for a junior in high school to be in the presence of college professors, nuclear physicists, and chemists. I hope to learn a lot from my stay here.

Loren Booda said:
I was part of PF 1.0 and re-registered at PF 2.0. So the date on the left is only the re-registration date. I haven't posted for a while, I think ... more than 6-8 months maybe.
Dont remember exactly when I joined. End 2001 or beginning 2002. Maybe Greg can help.

Siv!

Welcome back! Are you here to stay or just dropping in? You will find that that are many new and interesting members who have joined us since you last posted. I hope you will stick around for a while.

Integral said:
Siv!

Welcome back! Are you here to stay or just dropping in? You will find that that are many new and interesting members who have joined us since you last posted. I hope you will stick around for a while.
Thanks Integral.
I hope to stick around for a while too. Let's see how it goes.

WOW Siv! glad you are with us again! Many members here should know what a great contribution you have made on these forums in the past!

Kerrie said:
WOW Siv! glad you are with us again! Many members here should know what a great contribution you have made on these forums in the past!

Here here!

I've been reading the posts since '01 (which, I guess, means I picked the wrong poll choice...oh well), and started posting just before it changed to PF2. I posted a bit more on PF2 (in fact, I'd just made it to the first page of the member's list when we upgraded again). Then I posted like mad for a while, on PF3, but I have been extremely irregular of late. Anyway, I'm 16, and have really grown with the PFs, if just through being exposed to such a vast amount of information as well as a group of people who actually value knowledge and the pursuit thereof.

Mentat - 16! You're a genius! :surprise:

I agree.. beautiful control of language, Mentat, and a very clear mind.. but we already knew he's a genius since a long time :)

Kerrie said:
Thanks, Kerrie. Nice to see a lot of old members still around.

I have been on since '02 i think, but under a different alias... The Alpha Goat I think it was... I mainly posted when I needed help but last year I found general discussion, and well... here I am now.

jimmy p said:
I have been on since '02 i think, but under a different alias... The Alpha Goat I think it was... I mainly posted when I needed help but last year I found general discussion, and well... here I am now.
Alpha Goat - I LOVE IT! :biggrin:

Chopnik Spraymaster Alpha Goat :approve:

jimmy p said:
I have been on since '02 i think, but under a different alias...

Yes, I used to have a different username, too. I used to be "Tom". But then I changed my handle to what you see now. I figured I'd throw everyone off my trail that way.

in PF 1.0 i was skorpiano...those here who know my hobbies will know why...

in PF 1.0 i was skorpiano...those here who know my hobbies will know why...

You're a scorpio, eh? Now that explains a lot.

The numbers have to be unreal. I mean, look 11.11@5x,

13.89 @2x that is way too harmonious. This isn't a hive, is it?

I really don't remember when I joined or started to post.

Tom Mattson said:
Yes, I used to have a different username, too. I used to be "Tom". But then I changed my handle to what you see now. I figured I'd throw everyone off my trail that way.

Don't do that, it's hard enough to keep track of all our SuperMentors who listen to Super400, without one of them changing his name! :rolleyes:

Evo said:
Alpha Goat - I LOVE IT! :biggrin:

Chopnik Spraymaster Alpha Goat :approve:

would that fit?? :rolleyes:

Related to How long have you posted on Physics Forums?

1. How long have you been a member of Physics Forums?

I have been a member of Physics Forums for 5 years now. I joined in 2016.

2. How often do you post on Physics Forums?

I try to post on Physics Forums at least once a week. However, it depends on my schedule and the topics being discussed.

3. What motivated you to join Physics Forums?

I have always been passionate about science and wanted to connect with like-minded individuals to discuss and learn more about various topics in physics.

4. What is your favorite aspect of being a member of Physics Forums?

My favorite aspect of being a member of Physics Forums is the opportunity to engage in discussions with people from all around the world who share a similar interest in physics. It has also helped me expand my knowledge and learn from others.

5. Have you found Physics Forums to be a helpful resource in your scientific pursuits?

Absolutely. Physics Forums has been a valuable resource for me in my scientific pursuits. The discussions and resources available on the forum have helped me deepen my understanding of various concepts in physics and keep up with the latest developments in the field.