How Long Does It Take for Current to Reach Maximum in an RL Circuit?

In summary, the conversation discusses calculations involving an inductor and resistor connected in series with a DC voltage source. The calculations involve finding the time for the current to reach maximum value, the initial rate of change of current, and the time when the current reaches a specific value. However, the calculations cannot be solved precisely due to the nature of the exponential function. Instead, a practical rule of thumb is to consider the circuit's behavior after 5 time constants.
greg997
Hello
I have the following calculations to do.
An inductor of 10H and 25 ohm resistance is connected in series with a 75 ohm resistor and Vs=240 V DC.
1. the time for current to develop maximum current.
so what I did is that:
Max current is I= V/R= 240/(25+75)= 2.4 A
And time constant T= 0.1 s

i=I(1-e^(-t/τ) )
2.4=2.4(1-e^(-t/0.1) )
1=1-e^(-t/0.1)
0= e^(-t/0.1)
and now I cannot take natural log to find t. What is wrong? In simulation in Multisim it goes up to 2.4 eventually.

2. calculate the initial rate of change of current

Now idea what it is about so far.3. Time when current reaches 1.5 A
1.5=2.4(1-e^(-t/0.1) )
0.625=(1-e^(-t/0.1) )
0.375=e^(-t/0.1), and taking natural log of both ides we have
-0.9808=-t/0.1
t= 98.08ms
But in Multisim it shows it should be 98.6 so, is my calculation right? All components have 0 % tolerance etc. so I would assume it should be more accuret to what I calculated.

Any help is welcome

Physics news on Phys.org
If you consider the function [itex] f(t) = 1 - e^{-\frac{t}{\tau}} [/itex], it never actually reaches 1 in finite time. It gets arbitrarily close to 1, but never actually reaches 1 as long as t is a finite value. This is why you can't solve for a precise value of t in a meaningful way -- the ln(0) is undefined (and heads off to negative infinity in the limit).

So what to do?

In practical terms the main action for the exponential is over and done with after 5 time constants (5 times [itex] \tau [/itex]). The function reaches within 99% of its final value then. This is used as a practical rule of thumb for circuit design.

Related to How Long Does It Take for Current to Reach Maximum in an RL Circuit?

What is a RL circuit?

A RL circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains both a resistor (R) and an inductor (L). The resistor is responsible for dissipating energy in the form of heat, while the inductor stores energy in the form of a magnetic field.

What is current in a RL circuit?

Current in a RL circuit is the flow of electric charge through the circuit. It is measured in amperes (A) and is represented by the symbol I. In an RL circuit, current flows through both the resistor and the inductor, but the amount of current in each component may vary depending on the circuit parameters.

How is current affected by the inductor in a RL circuit?

The inductor in a RL circuit can affect the current by creating a back EMF (electromotive force) that opposes the flow of current. This back EMF is caused by the changing magnetic field in the inductor, and it can limit the amount of current that flows through the circuit. As a result, the current in a RL circuit may increase gradually rather than instantaneously as in a pure resistive circuit.

What is the time constant in a RL circuit?

The time constant in a RL circuit is a measure of how quickly the current in the circuit reaches its maximum value. It is calculated by multiplying the inductance (L) of the circuit by the resistance (R). A larger time constant indicates a slower rate of change of current, while a smaller time constant indicates a faster rate of change.

How does the current change over time in a RL circuit?

In a RL circuit, the current initially increases as the inductor charges up, but it decreases over time as the back EMF from the inductor limits the flow of current. Eventually, the current will reach a steady state value determined by the circuit parameters. The rate of change of current is dependent on the time constant of the circuit, as well as the initial current and voltage values.