How Is Centrifugal Force Calculated for a Particle in a Rotating Frame?

In summary: The Coriolis force is equal to ##-2m\vec\omega\times\vec v##. It will be non-zero whenever velocity is not parallel to the angular velocity. So to be more specific, it isproportional to the speed and cross product of direction and angular velocity so "linearly dependent on the velocity" would have been a better choice of words.
decentfellow

Homework Statement

A particle of mass ##m## rotates about ##Z-##axis in a circle of radius ##a## with a uniform angular speed ##\omega##. It is viewed from a frame rotating about the ##Z-##axis with a uniform angular speed ##\omega_0##. Find the centrifugal force on the particle.

Homework Equations

$$\vec{F}=m\vec{a}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I am a little confused by the language of the question. On reading the first sentence it looks like the particle is being observed from the ground and the second sentence is just given to confuse one who is solving the question. So, if that is the case then the answer should be ##m\omega^2a##.

But if what I assumed was wrong then that means that the particle is being observed from the reference frame which is rotating at a constant angular speed ##\omega_0##, if that is so then the angular speed of the particle in the reference frame of the ground is ##(\omega+\omega_0)##, so we get ##m(\omega+\omega_0)^2a## as the centrifugal force.

But the answer is neither, it is ##m\omega_0^2a##

Physics news on Phys.org
The centrifugal force only depends on the angular velocity of the rotating frame, not on how anything moves in it.

An observer in a rotating reference frame cannot make sense of F=ma except by inventing a fictitious force to include in the sum of forces. We call this centrifugal force.
The observer sees the mass circling at some rate (which you can easily calculate) and can compute a centripetal force to account for that motion. But if the observer also knows the actual forces on the mass there will be a discrepancy. It is the discrepancy that the observer considers as centrifugal force.

@haruspex @Orodruin Oh no! So I was supposed to calculate the pseudo force that had to be included in the FBD of the particle and what I was calculating in the second case, that I had considered in my 1st post, was the centripetal acceleration of the particle am I right?

decentfellow said:
So I was supposed to calculate the pseudo force that had to be included in the FBD
No, just the centrifugal part. Since the object is also moving in the rotating frame, it will also be subjected to a Coriolis force.

Orodruin said:
No, just the centrifugal part. Since the object is also moving in the rotating frame, it will also be subjected to a Coriolis force.
Can you tell me what is Coriolis force?

decentfellow said:
Can you tell me what is Coriolis force?
A fictitious force in a rotating coordinate system that is proportional to the object's velocity.

Orodruin said:
A fictitious force in a rotating coordinate system that is proportional to the object's velocity.
I thought it was proportional to the radial component of velocity. Both the mass and the observer are rotating about the Z axis, so the mass has no radial velocity in respect of the rotational axis of the observer's frame.

haruspex said:
I thought it was proportional to the radial component of velocity. Both the mass and the observer are rotating about the Z axis, so the mass has no radial velocity in respect of the rotational axis of the observer's frame.
The Coriolis force is equal to ##-2m\vec\omega\times\vec v##. It will be non-zero whenever velocity is not parallel to the angular velocity. So to be more specific, it isproportional to the speed and cross product of direction and angular velocity so "linearly dependent on the velocity" would have been a better choice of words.

Last edited:

Related to How Is Centrifugal Force Calculated for a Particle in a Rotating Frame?

What is relative angular velocity?

Relative angular velocity is the measure of how fast an object is rotating in relation to another object. It is the rate of change of the angle between the two objects' axes of rotation.

How is relative angular velocity calculated?

Relative angular velocity is calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement by the change in time. It is typically measured in radians per second or degrees per second.

What is the difference between relative and absolute angular velocity?

The main difference between relative and absolute angular velocity is the reference point. Relative angular velocity compares the rotation of one object to another, while absolute angular velocity measures the rotation of an object in relation to a fixed point.

Can relative angular velocity be negative?

Yes, relative angular velocity can be negative. This occurs when the angular displacement between two objects decreases over time, meaning the objects are rotating in opposite directions.

What are some real-life applications of relative angular velocity?

Relative angular velocity is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and robotics. It is important in understanding the motion of rotating objects, such as wheels on a car, blades on a wind turbine, or joints in a robotic arm.