How important is fourier analysis to Mechanical Engineering?

In summary, the engineering physics major senior is having difficulty with her internship and is considering quitting. She has made progress, but is still having difficulty. She is considering going to graduate school for mechanical engineering based on her internship.
Overkill777
I'm an Engineering Physics Major senior and I'm going to get my Masters in Mechanical Engineering. I have an internship in the Polymer and Coatings Department Analyzing Data. I am mostly going to be doing Fast Fourier Transforms and studying the data.

The problem is I don't really know what I'm doing. I'm the only one doing the data analysis so I don't have anyone to talk it over with. And I'm having some difficulties with the professor. It's really boring and I'm not interested in the project at all.

So at this point I have to decide if I want to try to tough it out for the rest of the summer or just go get a job at Staples. How good would this internship look to a graduate school for M.E.? What should I do?

Also this is taking a ton of energy out of me so I'm not getting time to study for the GRE which I am taking in August.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mechanical engineering is such a broad discipline (arguably the broadest of all engineering disciplines). I'd say you could very easily go through your entire career without ever needing to understand Fourier theory, if that's what you desire.

Having said that, it's probably not as hard as you think if you start from the basics and work your way up to it. I would stick it out if I were you. If you fail to produce a result over the three months, you will at least have learned a lot in the process.

Mechanical engineering is such a broad discipline (arguably the broadest of all engineering disciplines). I'd say you could very easily go through your entire career without ever needing to understand Fourier theory, if that's what you desire.

Having said that, it's probably not as hard as you think if you start from the basics and work your way up to it. I would stick it out if I were you. If you fail to produce a result over the three months, you will at least have learned a lot in the process.

Fourier analysis is relevant for PDE-solving (FEM, FDM) and probably the heat equation in three dimensions. I understand it can be rather tough (have you studied complex analysis?), but in the end I think it's rewarding. Tough it out, like a brave soldier would.

Thanks for your advice. I am going to stick to it. I made huge progress today and feel much better. I just didn't understand Fourier Tranforms and how to plot magnitude spectrums and it took me a while to teach it to myself and to learn Maple on my own too.

And my professor is pleased with what I have done so far.

Related to How important is fourier analysis to Mechanical Engineering?

1. What is Fourier analysis and how does it relate to Mechanical Engineering?

Fourier analysis is a mathematical tool used to decompose a complex signal or function into simpler components. It helps in understanding the behavior of mechanical systems by breaking down their complex motion into simpler harmonic motions. This is particularly useful in vibration analysis, which is a critical aspect of mechanical engineering.

2. How is Fourier analysis used in mechanical design?

Fourier analysis is used in mechanical design to identify and analyze the different frequencies present in a system. This helps in predicting potential sources of vibration and designing systems to withstand these vibrations. It is also used to optimize the design of mechanical components, such as gears and bearings, by analyzing their dynamic behavior.

3. Can Fourier analysis be used to improve the efficiency of mechanical systems?

Yes, Fourier analysis can be used to improve the efficiency of mechanical systems by identifying and eliminating unwanted vibrations. By understanding the frequency components of a system, engineers can design more efficient and stable systems. This can lead to improved performance, reduced wear and tear, and longer lifespan of mechanical systems.

4. Is Fourier analysis relevant in modern mechanical engineering?

Absolutely. Fourier analysis has been a fundamental tool in mechanical engineering for decades and is still highly relevant in modern times. With the advancements in technology, it has become easier and more efficient to perform Fourier analysis on complex systems. It continues to be an integral part of mechanical engineering design and analysis.

5. Are there any limitations to using Fourier analysis in mechanical engineering?

While Fourier analysis is a powerful tool, it does have its limitations. It assumes that the system is linear and that the components are stationary, which may not always be the case in real-world systems. Additionally, it may not be suitable for non-periodic or non-stationary signals. Therefore, engineers must carefully consider these limitations and use other techniques when necessary to fully analyze mechanical systems.