How good is my graduate school application despite meh GRE scores.

In summary, the individual has recently taken their GRE and received mediocre scores, but is confident in their abilities as a physics major. They have a strong GPA of 3.7 and have taken advanced physics courses, including a graduate dynamics class. They also have research experience and strong recommendation letters. They are wondering if their application is strong enough to be accepted into a physics PhD program with a stipend. They also mention their concern about their PGRE score and whether or not they should retake it. Overall, their application seems decent and their research experience is a crucial factor. Their PGRE score may not be ideal, but it may not necessarily disqualify them from being accepted into a program.
xdrgnh
I just took my GRE today and I must say I did very mediocre on it. I did not fail but did mediocre. If one looked at my score they would never guess I';m a physics major. I got 156 in both verbal and quantitative. On my physics GRE I'm probably going to get in the 70 to 80th percentile.
My GPA is 3.7. This includes getting an A in a graduate dynamics class.
I had an REU this summer which turned into my senior project. I'm getting one excellent in depth recommendation letters and 2 good recommendation letter.

I want to get into a physics PhD program with a stipend. How strong is my application and do you think I have a shot?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

I think getting a good score on the PGRE should mean you won't need to worry about the general score.

Do you think using the world "meh" in my title is turning people off from replying?

From what you have said, it seems like a decent application. Research is probably the most important component of your application. From what I have read, the important thing about your test scores is that you didn't fail horribly. I was in the 59th percentile on my physics GRE and got into a few good schools. The classes you took are also important. A 3.7 GPA is pretty good (mine was lower) especially if you took a lot of high level math/physics classes.

I got my PGRE scores I got a 710 or 54 percentile. Do I need to take it again if I want a shot at an PhD program?

Last edited:

Related to How good is my graduate school application despite meh GRE scores.

What is considered a "meh" GRE score?

A "meh" GRE score is typically considered to be a score that falls below the average scores of accepted applicants at the graduate school you are applying to. This can vary depending on the program and school, so it is important to research the average scores for your specific program.

Will my low GRE scores ruin my chances of being accepted?

No, low GRE scores do not necessarily mean that your application will be automatically rejected. Graduate schools consider a variety of factors in their admissions process, including your GPA, letters of recommendation, personal statement, and previous experience. A strong overall application can outweigh lower GRE scores.

Can I retake the GRE to improve my scores?

Yes, you can retake the GRE in order to improve your scores. However, it is important to consider whether a retake is necessary and if it will significantly improve your scores. Some graduate schools may also consider your highest score, while others will take an average of all your scores.

Should I address my low GRE scores in my personal statement?

It is not necessary to address your low GRE scores in your personal statement unless you have a specific reason or explanation for them. Instead, focus on highlighting your strengths and achievements in other areas to showcase your potential as a graduate student.

Are there any other ways to strengthen my application if my GRE scores are low?

Yes, there are other ways to strengthen your application if your GRE scores are low. You can focus on obtaining strong letters of recommendation, gaining relevant experience through internships or research projects, and writing a compelling personal statement that showcases your passion and dedication for your chosen field of study.