How far will the ship travel after the engine stops?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the distance a ship will travel after its engines stop, given its initial speed and the frictional force exerted on it. The solution involves using the equations for energy and friction, and considering the relationship between friction and velocity.
Kara386

Homework Statement

A ship's engine supplies power of 85MW, which propels the ship of mass 5.3×106 kg across the sea at its top speed of 11##ms^{−1}##. The frictional force exerted on the ship by the sea is directly proportional to its speed. If it starts at top speed and then travels in a straight line, how far will it go after the engines stop?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought the ship would start of with energy ##\frac{1}{2}mv^2##, and that the work done by friction has to equal this amount for the ship to stop. It says friction is proportional to speed and from dimensional analysis I need units of kgm##s^{-2}##, mass and time also have to be included in the equation for friction, and it has to be inversely proportional to time so that ##F = \frac{mv}{t}## and work done ##= \int F dx = \frac{mvx}{t}##. There should probably also be some kind of constant of proportionality in there.

Equating the two energy equations gives me ##x = \frac{vt}{2}## but I don't know t, so that's no good. And I don't know what else to try. Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You have two expressions for the energy per second: one from the 85 MW and one from F ds.
You know F = 0 if v = 0 and that F(v) is linear. So you can find F as a function of v

Likes Kara386
Kara386 said:
mass and time also have to be included in the equation for friction,
No, it just says that the constant of proportionality has dimension mass/time. This need not have anything to do with the mass of the ship nor the time since the engines stopped. F=kv for some constant k.
How can you also relate F and v via acceleration?

Likes Kara386
haruspex said:
No, it just says that the constant of proportionality has dimension mass/time. This need not have anything to do with the mass of the ship nor the time since the engines stopped. F=kv for some constant k.
How can you also relate F and v via acceleration?
Oops. Ok so it's a case of F = kv maybe plus some constant c, except as BvU says for F=0 v=0 so then there can't be a ##c##. Then I think I can use P = Fv to find out the force of friction, so ##85MW = F \times 11##m##s^{-1}## meaning when the boat travels at max speed ##F = 7.7\times 10^6##, and from that ##k=7\times 10^5##. Then it's a differential equation. Thanks! :)

Didn't want to give it away too much ..., but yes

Likes Kara386

Related to How far will the ship travel after the engine stops?

1. How does the distance traveled by a ship after the engine stops depend on the ship's initial speed?

The distance traveled by a ship after the engine stops is directly proportional to the ship's initial speed. This means that the faster the ship is moving before the engine stops, the further it will travel before coming to a complete stop.

2. Will the ship continue to move in the same direction after the engine stops?

Yes, the ship will continue to move in the same direction after the engine stops, unless it is affected by external forces such as wind or currents. This is due to the law of inertia, which states that an object in motion will remain in motion unless acted upon by an external force.

3. What factors can affect the distance traveled by a ship after the engine stops?

The distance traveled by a ship after the engine stops can be affected by factors such as the ship's initial speed, the weight and size of the ship, external forces such as wind and currents, and the condition of the sea or ocean.

4. Is it possible for a ship to continue moving after the engine stops?

Yes, it is possible for a ship to continue moving after the engine stops if it is affected by external forces such as wind or currents. In some cases, the ship may also have a backup power source or auxiliary engines that can keep it moving for a short period of time.

5. How can the distance traveled by a ship after the engine stops be calculated?

The distance traveled by a ship after the engine stops can be calculated using the ship's initial speed, the time it takes for the ship to come to a complete stop, and any external forces that may affect its movement. This can be done using mathematical equations such as the equation of motion or the law of inertia.