How Does Work Done Compare in Isothermal and Adiabatic Expansion of Gases?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an ideal monatomic gas expanding quasi-statically to twice its volume, with a given work done for both isothermal and adiabatic processes. It is shown that the work done for the adiabatic process is less than the work done for the isothermal process. The conversation also touches on the definitions of \gamma and C_p - C_v, and finding the antiderivative of V^{-\gamma} in order to solve the problem. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to draw a Pressure versus Volume diagram to better understand the concept.
dimensionless
I've been trying to tackle the following problem, but I can't seem to get it right.
An ideal monatomic gas expands quasi-statically to twice its volume. If the process is isothermal, the work done by the gas is W_i. If the process is adiabatic, the work doen by the gas is W_a. Show that 0 < W_a < W_i.
For isothermal processes I have
[tex]
W_i = \int_{v_i}^{v_f} \frac{nRT}{V}dV = nRT ln(2)
[/tex]
For adiabatic processes I have
[tex]
W_a = k \int_{v_i}^{v_f} \frac{dV}{V^{\gamma}}
[/tex]
Where do go from this point?

Physics news on Phys.org
dimensionless said:
I've been trying to tackle the following problem, but I can't seem to get it right.
An ideal monatomic gas expands quasi-statically to twice its volume. If the process is isothermal, the work done by the gas is W_i. If the process is adiabatic, the work doen by the gas is W_a. Show that 0 < W_a < W_i.
For isothermal processes I have
[tex]W_i = \int_{v_i}^{v_f} \frac{nRT}{V}dV = nRT ln(2)
[/tex]
For adiabatic processes I have
[tex]
W_a = k \int_{v_i}^{v_f} \frac{dV}{V^{\gamma}}
[/tex]
Where do go from this point?
What is the antiderivative of:

[tex]\frac{1}{V^{\gamma}} = V^{-\gamma}[/tex]?

Also: [itex]k = P_iV_i^\gamma[/itex]

What is the maximum value of [itex]\gamma[/itex] ?

AM

I've got [tex]\gamma = C_p/C_v[/tex] written down as the only definition for [tex]\gamma[/tex].

I don't know of any alternative for [tex]V^{-\gamma}[/tex].

dimensionless said:
I've got [tex]\gamma = C_p/C_v[/tex] written down as the only definition for [tex]\gamma[/tex].
But what is the maximum value it can have? What is the minimum value of [itex]C_v[/itex]? What is [itex]C_p - C_v[/itex]?

I don't know of any alternative for [tex]V^{-\gamma}[/tex].
That's ANTI-DERIVATIVE. What is the function F(x) such that [itex]F'(x) = x^n[/itex]?

AM

I've got [tex]C_p - C_v = \frac{5}{2}R-\frac{3}{2}R=R[/tex]
and [tex]V^{-\gamma} = -\gamma V^{-\gamma-1} dV[/tex]

I've worked this out but I get [tex] 0 < W_i < W_a[/tex] instead of [tex] 0 < W_a < W_i[/tex] for an answer.

Last edited:
dimensionless said:
I've got [tex]C_p - C_v = \frac{5}{2}R-\frac{3}{2}R=R[/tex]
and [tex]V^{-\gamma} = -\gamma V^{-\gamma-1} dV[/tex]
?? How do you figure that?

The antiderivative of [itex]V^{-\gamma}[/itex] is: [itex]\frac{1}{-\gamma +1}V^{-\gamma + 1}[/itex]

[tex]\int_{V_i}^{V_f}\frac{dV}{V^\gamma} = K\left(\frac{V_f^{-\gamma + 1} - V_i^{-\gamma + 1}}{-\gamma + 1}\right)[/tex]

Use the fact that the minimum value of C_v = 3R/2 and [itex]-\gamma + 1 = 1 - \gamma = -(C_p - C_v)/C_v[/itex] to work out the inequality.

AM

Last edited:
Do this:

For the first process , the isothermal one , we know for an ideal gas :

[itex]PV = K[/itex]

Draw the Pressure versus Volume diagram for the first process (isothermal) , with values as per given in the question.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the second process , draw the Pressure versus Volume diagram , you know that for an adibatic change:

[itex]PV^(\gamma) = K[/itex]

Take P_1 and P_2 for both the processes to be the same.

Because you know area under PV graph gives the work done. You would find that because of the factor "gamma" for adiabatic process , it will have a steeper slope in the graph and thus lesser area as compared to that of isothermal process.

BJ

Related to How Does Work Done Compare in Isothermal and Adiabatic Expansion of Gases?

1. What is the definition of expanding gasses?

Expanding gasses refer to gases that are increasing in volume, typically due to a decrease in pressure or an increase in temperature.

2. How does work on expanding gasses relate to the laws of thermodynamics?

The laws of thermodynamics govern the behavior of expanding gasses, particularly the first and second laws which state that energy cannot be created or destroyed, and that heat flows from hotter to colder objects.

3. What are some real-life examples of work on expanding gasses?

Some common examples include the expansion of gas in a car engine to power the vehicle, the expansion of gas in a balloon to lift it into the air, and the expansion of gas in a pressure cooker to cook food faster.

4. How is work on expanding gasses used in industries?

Expanding gasses are used in various industries such as power generation, refrigeration, and manufacturing. For example, steam turbines use expanding gasses to generate electricity, and refrigeration systems use expanding gasses to cool and preserve food.

5. What are some challenges in studying the behavior of expanding gasses?

One of the main challenges is accurately predicting and measuring the behavior of expanding gasses, as it can be affected by various factors such as temperature, pressure, and the type of gas. Additionally, the rapid expansion of gasses can also make it difficult to control and study in a lab setting.