How Does the Continua Device Work in Robert A. Heinlein's Number of the Beast?

• Thread starter hsdrop
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, the author discusses the idea of dimensions being 90 degrees apart from each other and how time is not just a line. They also mention a device in the book that allows people to travel between dimensions.
hsdrop
was just wondering if anyone has read the number of the beast by Robert A. Heinlein and if you have what are your thoughts on the "continua" which is the device they put into Gay Deceiver the air car of sorts and how it works with dimensions; the three spatial dimensions known to the real world, and three time dimensions its a very good book and it makes you think what if
lol but any good sci-fi book should do that

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow! You have a cave-in in your attic and came across a dusty box of paperbacks of something? :wink:

Read it a long time ago.

Had a lot of difficulty with Heinlein's style.

I just thought his explanation was a cute plot vehicle.

lol no i just love really good sci-fi and what could happen if we start to think outside the box in this case way outside the box hehe the concept is something that i have been mulling over for a while now that all dimensions are 90 degrees apart from each other and that time is not a just a line without width or height if you were to look at it separate from space itself

hsdrop said:
lol no i just love really good sci-fi and what could happen if we start to think outside the box in this case way outside the box hehe the concept is something that i have been mulling over for a while now that all dimensions are 90 degrees apart from each other and that time is not a just a line without width or height if you were to look at it separate from space itself
Ah, the swapped parallax scene for Stranger In A Strange Land.

Likes hsdrop
yes even throw valentine michael smith could do it with his mind in number of the beast that had a machine that i guess twisted space and time for them

Related to How Does the Continua Device Work in Robert A. Heinlein's Number of the Beast?

1. What is the significance of the number 666 in "Number of the Beast"?

The number 666 is often associated with the biblical concept of the "mark of the beast" from the Book of Revelation. In the novel, it is used as a symbol of ultimate power and control, representing the main character's quest for domination over the universe.

2. Is "Number of the Beast" a religious book?

No, "Number of the Beast" is a science fiction novel written by Robert A. Heinlein. While it does contain religious themes and references, it is primarily a work of fiction and should not be taken as a religious text.

3. What is the main plot of "Number of the Beast"?

The novel follows four characters who discover a way to travel through parallel universes and embark on a journey through different dimensions. Along the way, they encounter various challenges and confrontations with other beings who also have the ability to travel between universes.

4. What scientific concepts are explored in "Number of the Beast"?

"Number of the Beast" delves into ideas such as time travel, alternate dimensions, and parallel universes. It also touches on quantum mechanics, relativity, and the concept of infinity.

5. Is "Number of the Beast" a standalone novel or part of a series?

While "Number of the Beast" can be read as a standalone novel, it is also considered the first book in the World as Myth series by Heinlein. The series includes four other books, but each can be read independently of the others.