How Does Temperature Affect the Density of an Object?

The second equation is for the actual volume at the final temperature. In summary, the object's density is 1248.6 kg/m3 when the temperature is 25◦C. The difference between the two equations is that the first one calculates the change in volume while the second one calculates the actual volume at a given temperature. The second equation should be used when you want to find the actual volume at a specific temperature.
Patricia Reid

Homework Statement

An object has a density of 1250 kg /m3 at 10C and a coefficient of linear expansion of α = 2.5 × 10−5 1 /K . What is the object’s density when the temperature is 25C?

Homework Equations

V=βV0ΔT
V(T)=(1+β(Δt))V0

The Attempt at a Solution

How I got the answer is that I used V(T)=(1+β(Δt))V0 and substituted v=m/ρ and after some algebra gave me the correct answer of 1248.6 kg/m2

When I used the first equation I listed I didn't get the correct answer... I was just wondering what the difference is in the equations and when to use themThanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
The first equation is not for the volume, it is for the change of volume. You can see this by inserting zero temperature difference (you will get zero and not the volume).

Related to How Does Temperature Affect the Density of an Object?

What is linear expansion?

Linear expansion is a phenomenon in which the length of an object increases when it is heated and decreases when it is cooled. This is due to the change in temperature causing the molecules in the object to vibrate and take up more space.

What is the formula for linear expansion?

The formula for linear expansion is: ΔL = αL₀ΔT, where ΔL is the change in length, α is the coefficient of linear expansion, L₀ is the original length, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

What is the coefficient of linear expansion?

The coefficient of linear expansion is a constant value that represents how much an object will expand or contract with a change in temperature. It is different for each material and is typically measured in units of per degree Celsius (or per Kelvin).

Can linear expansion be negative?

Yes, linear expansion can be negative. This occurs when an object is cooled and its length decreases. In this case, the value of ΔL will be negative in the linear expansion equation.

How is linear expansion used in real life?

Linear expansion is used in many practical applications, such as in the construction of bridges, buildings, and roads. It is also used in the design of thermometers and other temperature-measuring devices. Additionally, understanding linear expansion is important in industries such as metalworking and glassmaking.