How Do Pulse Rifles and Pulse Propulsion Function in Sci-Fi?

In summary, pulse rifles are a type of science fiction weapon that use bursts of energy or plasma to shoot projectiles. Their functionality is not based on real world technology and can vary depending on the author's imagination. However, in real life, pulse weapons such as lasers and plasma guns would require a large amount of energy to operate and would likely use a pulse delivery system. Slug throwers, or traditional firearms, can also be considered pulse-mode weapons as they use a burst of energy to propel a projectile. Overall, the feasibility of these weapons is questionable in real life.
Dummienoob
I've heard about pulse rifles in movies and games, but I haven't been able to understand how they work. I know that they have to do something with plasma, but they shoot pulse slugs too.
Please explain how they work.

Physics news on Phys.org
The short answer is: they work by the fiction part of "science fiction".
The word "pulse" in front of something makes it sound cool and means whatever the author wants it to.

You'd need to be specific.

IRL: pulse lasers require so much energy that it is not practical to supply it continuously.
So the energy is usually stored from a sane supply rate and delivered in a short burst: a pulse.
Thus, anything that uses energy in pulses would be a pulse-thing.For a plasma gun, they would usually shoot a small squirt of superheated gas by some unexplained mechanism. That's the pulse - though it would be likely that the power needed to shoot would be delivered in a pulse too.

IRL plasma is controlled by electromagnetic fields - so we would think of something like a rail gun but using gas.

All slug throwers are pulse-mode weapons - that's why they go "bang". Contenporary version use gunpowder as the energy store.

By analogy with the lasers and plasma devices, you'd still think in terms of some sort of rail-gun.

However, I've seen SF weapons using antigravity to get these effects.
Like I said - it means whatever the author wants it to.
Does that help?

ok thanks. I know now that they can be various weapons bearing the same name.

Related to How Do Pulse Rifles and Pulse Propulsion Function in Sci-Fi?

1. How does pulse propulsion generate thrust?

Pulse propulsion works by creating a series of rapid pulses that push against the surrounding air or propellant. These pulses create a reaction force, or thrust, that propels the object forward.

2. What is the source of energy for pulse propulsion?

The source of energy for pulse propulsion can vary, depending on the specific type of pulse propulsion being used. Some common sources of energy include chemical reactions, electric or magnetic fields, or even nuclear reactions.

3. How is the direction of thrust controlled in pulse propulsion?

The direction of thrust in pulse propulsion is controlled by the timing and direction of the pulses. By adjusting the timing and direction of the pulses, the direction of the reaction force can be changed, allowing for control of the object's movement.

4. What are the advantages of using pulse propulsion?

One of the main advantages of pulse propulsion is its high efficiency. Because it only uses energy during the pulses, it can be more efficient than other continuous forms of propulsion. Additionally, pulse propulsion can also provide high levels of acceleration and can be used for both short and long distance travel.

5. What are some potential applications of pulse propulsion?

Pulse propulsion has many potential applications in the field of space exploration. It can be used to power spacecraft and satellites, as well as provide propulsion for interplanetary travel. In addition, pulse propulsion has also been proposed for use in military and commercial aircraft, and even for underwater vehicles.