How Does Newton's Second Law Apply to Highway Safety?

In summary,a car at a safe distance behind a truck will have a separation distance of 108 meters. If the average net braking force exerted by the car is 6.4x10^3 newtons, it will take the car 226.4 seconds to stop. A collision would occur if the driver's reaction time is an excellent 0.09 seconds.
oMovements
Homework Statement
The minimum safe distance between vehicles on a highway is the distance a vehicle can travel in 2.0s at a constant speed. assume that a 1.2x10^3 kg car is traveling 72km/h when the truck ahead crashes into a northbound truck and stops suddenly.
a) if the car is at the required safe distance behind the truck, what is the separation distance?
b) If the average net braking force exerted by the car is 6.4x10^3 N [N], how long would it take the car to stop?
c) Determine whether a collision would occur. Assume that the driver's reaction time is an excellent 0.09s.

The attempt at a solution
3a) d = (vi+vf/2) t
= (1200+0/2) (2)
= 1200 m

b) Fnet = m*a
-6.4x10^3 = (1.2x10^2)a
a = -5.3 m/s^2

a = vf-vi/t
-5.3 = 0-1200/t
t = 226.4s

c) d = vit + 1/2at^2
d = (1200)(0.09) + 1/2 (-5.33)(0.09)^2
d = 108m
Which is the distance traveled in reaction

d = vit + 1/2at^2
= (1200)(225) + 1/2(-5.33)(225)^2
= 2.7x10^5 - 134915
= 135084m m

d = 13504 + 108
= 125192 m
so a collision would occur

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
The first question, as I understand it, just requires the distance the car will go at 72Km/h in 2 seconds which is 2 times 72/3600. i.e. 40m. Your answer of 1200 m ( about a mile) is obviously wrong.

Part b),

a = f/m

v = v0-at -> when v=0 t=v0/a = 72m/f.

In 32a) to find the distance, you seemed to have used the mass of the car, in place of its velocity. That being said, i think your equation could be modified. The question is relating to the distance between the car and truck while in motion. the velocity remains constant.

distance = (velocity)x(time),

*make sure to convert the components into correct units. (km/h) -> (km/s) (since time is given in seconds)* *you will get a distance in terms of (km) when you do this, which you can then convert to (m) if you feel so compelled*

in b) When dealing with forces, it always helps to draw a force body diagram, letting you visualize the situation and see which direction the forces are going. This always helps me in determining the correct signs as well.

You have a force in the left direction, (by convenience, placing the car's velocity along the positive x-axis), meaning your stopping force is going to be negative.

-Fnet = mcar x (-)a

This should make sense as the car is slowing down, the force is in the negative direction, and the car is accelerating to the left.

While you have the correct signs, you seemed to have neglected to convert the (km/h) of the velocity, into the (km/s) needed, since your time component is in seconds. It always helps to think about you answers in terms of the situation. With the time you have written down in your answer, it means it will take the car 226.4 seconds to come to a stop. (Which means it will take you over 3 minutes to come to a stop!) So i would always beg you to make sure you answer makes sense to the situation.

in 3c) you seemed to have done the kinematic equations correctly in this and the equations make sense in that the driver will travel a distance during reacting, and will also travel a distance during the braking, but again avoided to convert the (km/h) of the velocity, into (km/s). In order for the units to cancel, the time parameters must match. *Write down your units as well as the value into the equations, to make sure they cancel correctly, and that you finish with what you need! :-p * I hope this helps!p.s. - Welcome to PF!

Last edited:
Rawrr! said:
In 32a) to find the distance, you seemed to have used the mass of the car, in place of its velocity. That being said, i think your equation could be modified. The question is relating to the distance between the car and truck while in motion. the velocity remains constant.

distance = (velocity)x(time),

*make sure to convert the components into correct units. (km/h) -> (km/s) (since time is given in seconds)* *you will get a distance in terms of (km) when you do this, which you can then convert to (m) if you feel so compelled*

in b) When dealing with forces, it always helps to draw a force body diagram, letting you visualize the situation and see which direction the forces are going. This always helps me in determining the correct signs as well.

You have a force in the left direction, (by convenience, placing the car's velocity along the positive x-axis), meaning your stopping force is going to be negative.

-Fnet = mcar x (-)a

This should make sense as the car is slowing down, the force is in the negative direction, and the car is accelerating to the left.

While you have the correct signs, you seemed to have neglected to convert the (km/h) of the velocity, into the (km/s) needed, since your time component is in seconds. It always helps to think about you answers in terms of the situation. With the time you have written down in your answer, it means it will take the car 226.4 seconds to come to a stop. (Which means it will take you over 3 minutes to come to a stop!) So i would always beg you to make sure you answer makes sense to the situation.

in 3c) you seemed to have done the kinematic equations correctly in this and the equations make sense in that the driver will travel a distance during reacting, and will also travel a distance during the braking, but again avoided to convert the (km/h) of the velocity, into (km/s). In order for the units to cancel, the time parameters must match.

*Write down your units as well as the value into the equations, to make sure they cancel correctly, and that you finish with what you need! :-p * I hope this helps!

p.s. - Welcome to PF!

Thanks, worked out the question and the answer makes sense. :)

I cannot validate the accuracy of the calculations without knowing the units used for the given values. However, the approach and equations used appear to be correct. It is important to note that the minimum safe distance may vary depending on the speed and weight of the vehicles involved, as well as external factors such as road conditions and driver reaction time. It is always best to maintain a safe distance and drive with caution to prevent collisions.

Related to How Does Newton's Second Law Apply to Highway Safety?

1. What is Newton's Second Law?

Newton's Second Law, also known as the Law of Acceleration, states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net applied force and inversely proportional to the mass of the object.

2. How is Newton's Second Law represented mathematically?

The mathematical representation of Newton's Second Law is F=ma, where F is the net force applied to an object, m is the mass of the object, and a is the resulting acceleration.

3. Can you explain the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration in Newton's Second Law?

The relationship between force, mass, and acceleration in Newton's Second Law can be described as follows: the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be. Similarly, the greater the mass of the object, the lower its acceleration will be for a given force.

4. How is Newton's Second Law applied in real-life situations?

Newton's Second Law can be applied in many real-life situations, such as calculating the acceleration of a car based on the force applied by the engine and the mass of the car, or determining the force needed to push an object up a ramp based on its mass and desired acceleration.

5. What are some common misconceptions about Newton's Second Law?

One common misconception about Newton's Second Law is that it only applies to objects in motion. In reality, the law applies to all objects, whether they are in motion or at rest. Another misconception is that the law only applies to linear motion, when in fact it can also be applied to rotational motion.