Newton's Second Law ODE Question

In summary, a car of mass 1200 kg is pulled on a level ground by an engine with a constant power of 80000 watts. The resistance of motion is described by Kv, where v is the velocity of the car at time t. By Newton's Second Law of Motion, the differential equation for the motion is F = m(dv/dt) + kv, and the condition for maximum velocity is Vmax when the sum of forces is equal to zero. If the maximum velocity is 144 km/h, the value of k is 50.
MIBinRN
A car of mass 1200 kg is started from rest and pulled on the level ground by an engine. The resistance of the motion is Kv, where v(m/s) is the velocity of the car at time t(s). The power of the engine is constant and equal to 80000 watts.

a) How does P, the power of the engine connect to F, the Driving Force?
b) By Newton's Second Law of Motions, write down the Differential Equation which describes the Motion.
c)State the condition for the maximum velocity to occur in this motion.
d) If the maximum velocity of the motion is 144km/h, find the value of k.
e)Solve the Differential Equation for x in terms of v.
f) Draw a graph of x against v.
g)State 2 characteristics of the graph.
h) Hence find the distance which a velocity of 15m/s can be reached from rest.

Physics news on Phys.org
Could anyone help me solve this problem? It has been mind-boggling for me cause I have only started to venture into this topic.

It is apparent that this is your first post here and that you did not read the "rules" that you had to say you had read when you registered. You have done just about everything wrong.

The way this is written makes it obvious that it is a homework problem. I am moving it to the homework section. And you must show what effort you have made yourself before you will be given any help. Finally you have "bumped" after only 52 minutes! Continuing to do any of those things can get you banned.

Ah... Okay. Sorry. Thanks. Is there a place I can go to ask such questions? And I'm not sure how to continue as I'm already lost from the beginning cause I don't know what is the concept behind it. In any case, I apologize for my tardiness.

This is now in the right place. But you still need to show what YOU have done on this problem and what prevents you from going further.

a) R = kv
Summation F = F-R
= F - kv
By Newton's Second Law of F=ma,
F - kv = ma
F = ma+kv
= m(dv/dt) + kv
Thus, P=FV.
b) ODE = P=FV
=(m(dv/dt) + kv)(v)
=mv(dv/dt)kv^2
c)V = Vmax when a=0
Thus summation F= 0
F-kv=0
F=kv
d) Given P = 80000Watts, V = 40m/s
Since P=FV,
=(kv)v
=kv^2
k=P/V^2
=80000/(40^2)
=50

I'm lost after this step. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Related to Newton's Second Law ODE Question

1. What is Newton's Second Law?

Newton's Second Law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass.

2. What is the equation for Newton's Second Law?

The equation for Newton's Second Law is F=ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration.

3. How is Newton's Second Law related to ODEs?

Newton's Second Law can be represented as a second-order Ordinary Differential Equation (ODE) where the acceleration is the second derivative of the position of the object with respect to time.

4. How do you solve an ODE question involving Newton's Second Law?

To solve an ODE question involving Newton's Second Law, you would need to use mathematical methods such as separation of variables, substitution, or integrating factors.

5. What are some real-world examples of Newton's Second Law?

Some examples of Newton's Second Law in everyday life include pushing a shopping cart, hitting a ball with a bat, and riding a bike. All of these actions involve a force being applied to an object, causing it to accelerate in the direction of the force.