How does mathematics research look for physics graduate?

In summary, the speakers are both interested in mathematical and theoretical physics, but acknowledge the difficulty of obtaining a career in this field. They discuss the potential benefits of conducting research with the mathematics department, including the possibility of combining quantum field theory into their academic studies. The importance of asking the right questions in this field is also highlighted.
Arsenic&Lace
I'm interested in mathematical or theoretical physics (and, I am quite aware of how daunting it is to obtain a career in this field). I'm curious, if I do research with the mathematics department, does this look good?

Currently I might have a project in dynamical systems, although I could also do a project with elliptic curves, which are rather far removed from physics as far as I know (short of maybe quantum cryptography, although it's just a wide guess that the two have anything in common).

Physics news on Phys.org
I am also interested in this. I am currently finishing B.Sc. degrees in mathematics and physics, I am planning on doing a Master's in mathematics, maybe in algebraic/differential topology, Lie theory or noncommutative algebra.

My hope is that by mixing some quantum field theory into my degree, options of both physics and mathematics research will be open to me.

Research in the math department certainly looks better than no research in the math department if you assume otherwise identical resumes/grades/... . As you may realize from this answer, you may not have asked the proper question. Incidently, asking the right question often is a central and non-trivial part of doing theoretical or mathematical physics.

Related to How does mathematics research look for physics graduate?

1. What is the purpose of using mathematics in physics research?

The purpose of using mathematics in physics research is to provide a quantitative framework for understanding and predicting the behavior of physical systems. By using mathematical models and equations, physicists are able to describe and analyze complex phenomena in a precise and rigorous manner.

2. How does mathematics contribute to advances in physics?

Mathematics plays a crucial role in advancing physics by providing the tools and techniques necessary to solve complex problems and develop new theories. Many of the most significant breakthroughs in physics, such as Newton's laws of motion and Einstein's theory of relativity, were made possible by the use of advanced mathematical concepts.

3. What types of mathematics are commonly used in physics research?

The types of mathematics used in physics research vary depending on the specific field of study, but some common areas include calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, and complex analysis. Other branches of mathematics, such as topology and group theory, are also important in certain areas of physics.

4. How do physicists use mathematics to test their theories?

Physicists use mathematics to formulate and test their theories by making predictions and comparing them to experimental data. If the mathematical predictions match the observed data, then the theory is considered valid and can be used to make further predictions. If there is a discrepancy, it may indicate a flaw in the theory or the need for further refinement.

5. How does collaboration between mathematicians and physicists benefit research?

Collaboration between mathematicians and physicists is mutually beneficial in research. Mathematicians can provide new mathematical techniques and perspectives that can help physicists solve complex problems, while physicists can provide real-world applications and data that can inspire new mathematical research. This collaboration often leads to groundbreaking discoveries and advances in both fields.