How Does Lunar Gravity Affect a Man's Jump Distance Compared to Earth?

• Thread starter picklepie159
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses two questions related to physics problems involving jumping and ball trajectory. The first question involves a man jumping a maximum horizontal distance on Earth and the second question involves a basketball player making a shot into a hoop at a certain angle and distance. Formulas such as height = 1/2 * acceleration due to gravity * time^2 and displacement = initial velocity * time are used to solve the problems. The conversation also touches on the concept of maximum range being achieved at a 45 degree angle.
picklepie159

Homework Statement

Hi, i have a small problem, can you guys help?
A man jumps a maximum horizontal distance of 3 meters. How far can he jump on the moon, where downward acceleration is g/6?

A 2 meter tall basketball player, 10 meters away from the hoop 3.05 meters high, launches a basketball at a 45 degree angle. What initial velocity must he use to get it in the hoop without touching the rim?

Homework Equations

Vx= vintial*(cos theta)
X-displacement= Vx*T
V-y final= V-initial (sin theta) + AT
X displacement= V * T

The Attempt at a Solution

For number one-
I split it in half- so now I'm trying to solve
A ball is rolled off the edge of a table and lands 1.5 meters away at 45 degrees. What is Vx,
Vy final, T, and height of the table?

So first, I use
Height= 1/2 g t^2
H= 4.9 *t^2

Since D= Vx * T,
Then T= D/vx
So H= 4.9 * D^2/vx^2
Tan 45= Vy/Vx,
Vx= Vy/tan45
D= 1.5 meters
So H= 4.9 * 2.25/ (vy/tan45)
tan45=1
H= 4.9* 2.25/vy^2

and this is where i stop.

For the second question, I was thinking of perhaps the changing it to

A ball is thrown from ground level, at a 45 degree angle, to a hoop 1.05 degrees.
After that, I have no clue

Thanks for answers!

Physics news on Phys.org
your answer and question for 1st don't match. please check.

well started for ques2

now you can understand that the ball must the hoop during second half of its flight.
and also that it will not complete its flight.

so think of it as when the ball reaches point 1.5 along y axis, its x distance should be 10

cupid.callin said:
your answer and question for 1st don't match. please check.

well, no I was just looking at it from a different perspective. Instead of a man jumping 3 feet at 45 degrees, I start from his highest point and act as if he is a ball rolling off a table and landing 1.5 meters away at 45 degrees.

Good that you know that range is max at 45o.

now using full flight of half flight as you did, you don't need to calculate the max height or final velocities. because they will change when jumping on moon.

Can you tell me what will remain same while jumping on Earth or moon?

Related to How Does Lunar Gravity Affect a Man's Jump Distance Compared to Earth?

1. What is the scientific method and how does it apply to solving small physics problems?

The scientific method is a systematic approach to solving problems through observation, hypothesis testing, and data analysis. In the context of solving small physics problems, this means first identifying the problem, making observations and measurements, formulating a hypothesis, designing an experiment or calculation to test the hypothesis, and then analyzing the results to draw conclusions.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

Improving problem-solving skills in physics requires practice and understanding of key concepts. It is important to review and understand the relevant principles and equations, and then practice applying them to different types of problems. Additionally, breaking down problems into smaller, more manageable parts can help with the problem-solving process.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving small physics problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving small physics problems include not carefully reading and understanding the problem, using incorrect units or conversions, and making arithmetic errors. It is also important to check your answer and make sure it makes sense in the context of the problem.

4. How can I use visualization to help solve small physics problems?

Visualization can be a powerful tool in solving small physics problems. This involves creating mental images or diagrams to help understand the problem and its components. Drawing out diagrams or using physical models can also aid in visualizing and solving the problem.

5. What resources are available to help me solve small physics problems?

There are many resources available to help with solving small physics problems. These include textbooks, online resources such as tutorials and practice problems, and seeking help from a teacher or tutor. It can also be helpful to form study groups with peers to work through problems together.