How Does Projectile Motion Affect Speed and Angle on Impact?

In summary, a particle travels between two parallel vertical walls separated by 25 m, moving towards the opposing wall at a constant rate of 9.2 m/s and hitting the opposite wall at the same height. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2. The problem asks for the speed of the particle when it hits the opposing wall and at what angle it will strike. Attempts to solve the problem by finding the time and using various equations have resulted in incorrect answers. A suggestion is given to draw a dotted line on the diagram and focus on the particle's trajectory between this line and the right wall in order to determine the vertical speed at the time it reaches the right wall.
Beanie

Homework Statement

A particle travels between two parallel ver- tical walls separated by 25 m. It moves to- ward the opposing wall at a constant rate of 9.2 m/s. It hits the opposite wall at the same height.

The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2 .

(IMAGE FOR CLARIFICATION ATTACHED)

a) What will be its speed when it hits the opposing wall?
b) At what angle with the wall will the particle strike?

Homework Equations

Vf=vi+at
d=vit=.5at^2
vf^2=Vi^2+2ad

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried this problem (a) many times in many different ways, but continue to get it wrong. I have not yet been able to do problem (b) because of the lack of information (I need to complete a to do b)

Attempts:
The first way I tried was to find the time and then plug it into the second equation described above using d=25, t=2.7, a=-9.8. This resulted in a velocity of 22.52m/s. However this velocity is wrong.

The second way I tried was to find t (same as above) and then use Vx=9.2 as well as t=2.7 to calculate Vy. I found this to be 26.62. I then used the pythagorean theorem using Vx and Vy to find V. My final answer was 28.164m/s. This velocity answer was also wrong.

Any suggestions on where I am going wrong? Are there any other ways of calculating velocity?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-08-31 at 6.03.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-08-31 at 6.03.55 PM.png
    9.7 KB · Views: 431
Physics news on Phys.org
Start by figuring out how the final components of the velocity are related to the initial components when a projectile returns to the same height from which it was launched. Also, it seems that you have found the time of flight. Can you find the initial vertical component of the velocity?

Beanie said:

Homework Statement

A particle travels between two parallel ver- tical walls separated by 25 m. It moves to- ward the opposing wall at a constant rate of 9.2 m/s. It hits the opposite wall at the same height.

The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2 .

(IMAGE FOR CLARIFICATION ATTACHED)

a) What will be its speed when it hits the opposing wall?
b) At what angle with the wall will the particle strike?

Homework Equations

Vf=vi+at
d=vit=.5at^2
vf^2=Vi^2+2ad

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried this problem (a) many times in many different ways, but continue to get it wrong. I have not yet been able to do problem (b) because of the lack of information (I need to complete a to do b)

Attempts:
The first way I tried was to find the time and then plug it into the second equation described above using d=25, t=2.7, a=-9.8. This resulted in a velocity of 22.52m/s. However this velocity is wrong.

The second way I tried was to find t (same as above) and then use Vx=9.2 as well as t=2.7 to calculate Vy. I found this to be 26.62. I then used the pythagorean theorem using Vx and Vy to find V. My final answer was 28.164m/s. This velocity answer was also wrong.

Any suggestions on where I am going wrong? Are there any other ways of calculating velocity?

Draw a dotted line on your diagram that's exactly halfway between the two walls. Start by focusing only on the part of the particle's trajectory that's between this dotted line and the wall on the right (ignoring for now the other half of the trajectory to the left). Can you use the equations you listed above to determine the vertical speed of the particle at the time it reaches the right wall?

Related to How Does Projectile Motion Affect Speed and Angle on Impact?

1. What is projectile trajectory?

Projectile trajectory refers to the path followed by a projectile, such as a bullet or a ball, as it moves through the air.

2. What factors affect projectile trajectory?

The factors that affect projectile trajectory include the initial velocity, launch angle, air resistance, and gravity.

3. How is projectile trajectory calculated?

Projectile trajectory can be calculated using the equations of projectile motion, which take into account the initial velocity, launch angle, and gravitational acceleration.

4. How does air resistance affect projectile trajectory?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can slow down a projectile and cause it to deviate from its expected trajectory, especially at higher velocities.

5. Why is understanding projectile trajectory important?

Understanding projectile trajectory is important in various fields, such as sports, military, and engineering, as it can help predict the path of a projectile and make necessary adjustments for more accurate results.