How Does Linear Drag Affect the Motion of a Thrown Beach Ball?

In summary, the beach ball is thrown upwards with initial speed v0 and the drag force is given by Fd = −mαv for a drag coefficient α and speed v. The height h reached can be expressed in terms of the final speed when the ball strikes the ground vf. Finally, the total time taken for the ball to travel up and back down is given by T = (v0 + vf )/g.
BearY

Homework Statement

A beach ball is thrown upwards with initial speed v0. The drag force is given by Fd = −mαv for a drag coefficient α and speed v.
(a) the height h reached
(b) Show that the height may be expressed in terms of the final speed when the ball strikes the ground vf
(c)Finally show that the total time taken for the ball to travel up and back down is given by T = (v0 + vf )/g.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved DE for V
$$\dot{V} = \alpha V}+{g}$$
get $$t=\frac{1}{\alpha}ln(\frac{\alpha V_0 +g}{g})$$
and DE for h $$\ddot h -\alpha \dot h = g$$
get $$h = \frac{gln(\frac{\alpha V_0 +g}{g})}{\alpha ^2}+C_1\frac{g}{\alpha V_0 +g}+C_2$$
There is the problem, I can only find initiail value of ##t=0##, which does not solve the 2 constants. Is there another point of time I should use? Or there is something I did wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When an object is thrown straight up, the acceleration due to drag and the acceleration of gravity are in the same direction. This means that they must have the same sign in your differential equation.

Likes BearY
kuruman said:
When an object is thrown straight up, the acceleration due to drag and the acceleration of gravity are in the same direction. This means that they must have the same sign in your differential equation.
I am sorry I forgot to put vector signs.

This is a one-dimensional vector equation. Regardless of whether the positive axis is "up" or "down" the two accelerations are in the same direction, so they must have the same sign, both positive or both negative. Also, note that symbol V stands for speed as indicated in the problem; it's not a velocity. I suggest you think of it as speed otherwise you might be led astray with too many or too few negative signs. You will need a slightly different differential equation for the return trip, of course.

Likes BearY
BearY said:

Homework Statement

$$\dot{\vec{V}} = -\alpha \vec{V} +{g}$$
get $$t=\frac{1}{\alpha}ln(\frac{-\alpha \vec{V_0} +g}{g})$$
and DE for h $$\ddot h +\alpha \dot h = g$$
get $$h = \frac{gln(\frac{-\alpha V_0 +g}{g})}{\alpha ^2}+C_1\frac{g}{-\alpha V_0 +g}+C_2$$
There is the problem, I can only find initiail value of ##t=0##, which does not solve the 2 constants. Is there another point of time I should use? Or there is something I did wrong?
Adding arrows over symbols doesn't make it right. See my comments in #4.

Likes BearY
kuruman said:
Adding arrows over symbols doesn't make it right. See my comments in #4.
I will use V as speed and change the DE. But if V is pointing up, wouldn't ##\alpha V## be pointing up as well?

BearY said:
I will use V as speed and change the DE. But if V is pointing up, wouldn't ##\alpha V## be pointing up as well?
Yes, ##\alpha v## points up, but that's not the drag acceleration when the object is moving up. When the object is moving up, the drag acceleration is ##a_d=-\alpha v## and points down. Also, it looks like you did not integrate the diff eq. in v correctly. You need to get v as a function of time first by doing a definite integral noting that at t = 0 the speed is v = v0 (lower limits) and at t = t the speed is v = v (upper limits).

Likes BearY
kuruman said:
Yes, ##\alpha v## points up, but that's not the drag acceleration when the object is moving up. When the object is moving up, the drag acceleration is ##a_d=-\alpha v## and points down. Also, it looks like you did not integrate the diff eq. in v correctly. You need to get v as a function of time first by doing a definite integral noting that at t = 0 the speed is v = v0 (lower limits) and at t = t the speed is v = v (upper limits).
That's what I thought at first, drag is always opposite to V, so I thought putting a minus sign there makes it equation of motion of the entire motion. But now I am using V as speed. This is my new solution to the DE
$$
\frac{dv}{dt}=-\alpha V -g
$$$$\frac{1}{-\alpha} ln(-\alpha V -g)=t+C
$$and use t=0 v=v_0, we have
$$V=\frac{e^{\alpha t + \alpha C}+g}{\alpha}$$
$$C = \frac{1}{\alpha}ln(\alpha V_0 +g)$$
Miss clicked was going to preview
and use t=t_1 v=0, we have
$$t_1=\frac{1}{\alpha}ln(\frac{g}{\alpha V_0 +g})$$

Last edited:
BearY said:
That's what I thought at first, drag is always opposite to V, so I thought putting a minus sign there makes it equation of motion of the entire motion. But now I am using V as speed. This is my new solution to the DE
$$\frac{dv}{dt}=\alpha V +g$$
Look at the right hand side of the equation. You have two terms, both of which are positive. This means that the rate of change of the speed is positive which means that the object is moving faster as it goes farther up. Does this make sense? You want both quantities on the right hand side negative because both the acceleration of gravity and drag work together to reduce the speed.

Also, the presence of integration constant ##C## shows that you did not use definite integrals. Use limits when you integrate as I indicated in post #7 and the integration constants will take care of themselves.

Likes BearY
kuruman said:
Look at the right hand side of the equation. You have two terms, both of which are positive. This means that the rate of change of the speed is positive which means that the object is moving faster as it goes farther up. Does this make sense? You want both quantities on the right hand side negative because both the acceleration of gravity and drag work together to reduce the speed.

Also, the presence of integration constant ##C## shows that you did not use definite integrals. Use limits when you integrate as I indicated in post #7 and the integration constants will take care of themselves.
Should I integrate right-hand side from ##V_0## to ##0##? I think I am wrong because that gives the same results.

kuruman said:

Wait it's not exactly the same the result is $$\frac{1}{\alpha}ln(\frac{\alpha v_0+g}{g})$$

BearY said:
Should I integrate right-hand side from ##V_0## to ##0##? I think I am wrong because that gives the same results.
Look at this example when ##\alpha =0## that gives a familiar equation.
$$\frac{dv}{dt}=-g~~~\rightarrow ~dv=-gdt$$ $$\int_{v_0}^{v}dv=-g\int_0^t dt~~~\rightarrow ~v-v_0=-gt~~~\rightarrow ~v=v_0-gt$$Note how the upper and lower limits are lined up; ##v_0## is the speed at ##t## and ##v## is the speed at arbitrary time ##t##. In other words, it is the speed at any time ##t##, or ##v(t)##.

Sorry, I have to leave now because it's late where I am.

Likes BearY
BearY said:
Wait it's not exactly the same the result is $$\frac{1}{\alpha}ln(\frac{\alpha v_0+g}{g})$$
Yes, that is the correct time ##t_{up}## for the up trip. However, you need to find ##v(t)## as I indicated before because you need to do a second definite integral of the form $$h(t_{up})=\int_0^{t_{up}}v(t)~dt.$$

Related to How Does Linear Drag Affect the Motion of a Thrown Beach Ball?

1. What is a projectile with linear drag?

A projectile with linear drag refers to an object that is launched or thrown into the air and experiences a force that opposes its motion, known as drag. This type of drag is directly proportional to the velocity of the object, hence the term "linear".

2. How does linear drag affect the motion of a projectile?

Linear drag decreases the velocity and height of a projectile as it travels through the air. As the object moves forward, the drag force acts in the opposite direction, slowing it down and reducing its maximum height and range.

3. Can the effects of linear drag be ignored in projectile motion?

No, the effects of linear drag cannot be ignored in projectile motion. While they may be negligible for short distances or low velocities, they become increasingly significant as the distance and velocity increase. Ignoring linear drag can lead to inaccurate predictions of the projectile's trajectory.

4. How is linear drag calculated in projectile motion?

The drag force acting on a projectile is calculated using the equation Fd = -bv, where b is the drag coefficient and v is the velocity of the projectile. The drag coefficient depends on the shape and size of the object, as well as the properties of the medium through which it is traveling.

5. What factors can affect the amount of linear drag experienced by a projectile?

The amount of linear drag experienced by a projectile can be affected by several factors, including the object's shape and size, the properties of the medium (such as air density and viscosity), the velocity of the object, and the orientation of the object relative to the direction of motion.