Doubt about approximation and limiting case

In summary, the conversation discusses the position of a ball that is dropped from rest at a certain height, taking into account the drag force from the air. By expanding the equation with Taylor's series and neglecting higher-order terms, it is initially thought that the ball does not move. However, it is revealed that the first-order term is uninteresting and it is necessary to consider the second-order term to get a meaningful approximation. This highlights the significance of the role of air resistance in the motion of the ball.
Bestfrog

Homework Statement

A ball is dropped from rest at height ##h##. We can assume that the drag force from the air is in the form ##F_d=-m \alpha v##.
I know then the position in function of the height $$y(t)=h-\frac{g}{\alpha} (t-\frac{1}{\alpha} (1 - e^{-\alpha t}))$$
If I take ##\alpha t<<1##, the equation above (expanding ##e^{-\alpha t}## with Taylor's series) becomes $$y(t)=h-\frac{g}{\alpha} (t-\frac{1}{\alpha} (1 -(1 - \alpha t + \frac{(\alpha t)^2}{2}...)))$$
If I would neglect the terms of higher order in ##\alpha t## I have ##y(t) \sim h##, but Morin's Introduction to classical mechanics says ##y(t) \sim h - \frac{(gt)^2}{2}## for ##\alpha t<<1##. How is it possible?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bestfrog said:
If I would neglect the terms of higher order in ##\alpha t## I have ##y(t) \sim h##
Indeed, to first-order, the ball doesn't move! You need to keep higher-order terms to get a meaningful approximation.

Bestfrog said:

Homework Statement

A ball is dropped from rest at height ##h##. We can assume that the drag force from the air is in the form ##F_d=-m \alpha v##.
I know then the position in function of the height $$y(t)=h-\frac{g}{\alpha} (t-\frac{1}{\alpha} (1 - e^{-\alpha t}))$$
If I take ##\alpha t<<1##, the equation above (expanding ##e^{-\alpha t}## with Taylor's series) becomes $$y(t)=h-\frac{g}{\alpha} (t-\frac{1}{\alpha} (1 -(1 - \alpha t + \frac{(\alpha t)^2}{2}...)))$$
If I would neglect the terms of higher order in ##\alpha t## I have ##y(t) \sim h##, but Morin's Introduction to classical mechanics says ##y(t) \sim h - \frac{(gt)^2}{2}## for ##\alpha t<<1##. How is it possible?

Why not continue by re-writing what you have, including the quadratic terms ##(\alpha t)^2/2##? If you are going to include them in line 1 you should also include them in line 2.

DrClaude said:
Indeed, to first-order, the ball doesn't move! You need to keep higher-order terms to get a meaningful approximation.

Ray Vickson said:
Why not continue by re-writing what you have, including the quadratic terms ##(\alpha t)^2/2##? If you are going to include them in line 1 you should also include them in line 2.
Thanks for your replying, I understood what is wrong.
@DrClaude Can you explain me in depth why your affirmation is true? (Because for very very very little time, the ball seems not to fall)

Bestfrog said:
@DrClaude Can you explain me in depth why your affirmation is true? (Because for very very very little time, the ball seems not to fall)
The entire point of the procedure is to get a good first approximation to how things are changing. The first term will always be the constant term, which doesn't describe a change, so it is uninteresting. You therefore need to consider the lowest order term which is not constant.

That said, the fact that there is no first-order term and that you have to go to second order to get a function of time is interesting in itself. It means that even to first order, nothing moves, which tells you there is less motion than in the absence of air resistance.

DrClaude said:
That said, the fact that there is no first-order term and that you have to go to second order to get a function of time is interesting in itself. It means that even to first order, nothing moves, which tells you there is less motion than in the absence of air resistance.
Wow, that's interesting, thank you!

Related to Doubt about approximation and limiting case

What is approximation in science and how is it used?

Approximation in science is the process of using simplified models or methods to estimate values or make predictions. It is often necessary when exact solutions are not feasible or when dealing with complex systems. Scientists use approximation to make calculations more manageable and to gain a better understanding of the behavior of a system.

What is a limiting case in science?

A limiting case in science refers to a specific scenario or set of conditions in which a system or phenomenon behaves in a simplified manner. It is often used to analyze the behavior of a system at the extremes of its parameters or to understand how a system behaves when certain variables are held constant.

How do scientists determine if an approximation or limiting case is valid?

Scientists use a combination of mathematical analysis, experimental data, and theoretical models to determine the validity of an approximation or limiting case. They may also compare the results of their approximations to the results of more accurate methods to assess the level of accuracy.

What are the limitations of using approximations and limiting cases in science?

One limitation of using approximations and limiting cases in science is that they may oversimplify complex systems and lead to inaccurate predictions. Additionally, the validity of an approximation or limiting case may be limited to a specific range of conditions and may not accurately represent the behavior of a system in all situations.

How can scientists improve their use of approximations and limiting cases in research?

Scientists can improve their use of approximations and limiting cases by continuously refining their models and methods, incorporating more accurate data, and validating their results through experimentation. They can also collaborate with other scientists and experts to gain a broader understanding of the system they are studying.