How Does Blood Pressure Change with Velocity in Fluid Mechanics?

In summary: I need help with this.In summary, at the middle of the time period, Edson_arantes estimates that the blood pressure difference between the artery inlet and outlet will be 0.06 MPa.
Edson_arantes
I have a question about fluid mechanics. I know it's not completely physics, but in the end, it involves physics:

Suppose you are computing the blood flow in an artery segment with length 3 cm and diameter 3 mm. The artery has a constant cross section and its positioned horizontally in your computation. Assume the density of the blood to be 1,000 kg/m3. Blood is incompressible. At some point in your computation, in a time period of 0.025 s, the average flow velocity you specify at the artery inlet changes from 0.2 m/s to 0.6 m/s. Based on the Bernoulli's equation, at the middle of that time period, what do you estimate/expect the blood pressure difference between the artery inlet and outlet ?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Edson_arantes said:
I have a question about fluid mechanics. I know it's not completely physics, but in the end, it involves physics:

Suppose you are computing the blood flow in an artery segment with length 3 cm and diameter 3 mm. The artery has a constant cross section and its positioned horizontally in your computation. Assume the density of the blood to be 1,000 kg/m3. Blood is incompressible. At some point in your computation, in a time period of 0.025 s, the average flow velocity you specify at the artery inlet changes from 0.2 m/s to 0.6 m/s. Based on the Bernoulli's equation, at the middle of that time period, what do you estimate/expect the blood pressure difference between the artery inlet and outlet ?

Thanks
Hi Edson_arantes. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

These forums require that along with quoting the textbook question you also write the applicable equations, and that you include your attempt at the solution. Your effort here is somewhat lacking. Please remedy this.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I used the Bernoulli's equation for unstedy flow, then I assumed that the acceleration is uniform (but i think it's wrong). Taking the constant acceleration, I measured the distance the blood traveled in the middle of the time (0.0125s) and the velocity in the beginning and at t = 0.0125s. Then, I just substituted in the formula. The problem is that I don't think it's this simple, because the blood velocity may not vary linearly.

Attachments

• IMG_20140910_202638.jpg
    IMG_20140910_202638.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 485

Related to How Does Blood Pressure Change with Velocity in Fluid Mechanics?

1. What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is a branch of engineering that deals with the study of fluids (liquids and gases) and their properties, behavior, and motion.

2. What are the applications of fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics has a wide range of applications in various fields such as aerospace engineering, civil engineering, chemical engineering, marine engineering, and many others. It is used to design and analyze systems that involve the flow of fluids, such as pumps, turbines, pipelines, and even the human circulatory system.

3. What are the basic principles of fluid mechanics?

The basic principles of fluid mechanics include conservation of mass, conservation of momentum, and conservation of energy. These principles help us understand how fluids behave and how they interact with their surroundings.

4. How do engineers use fluid mechanics in their work?

Engineers use fluid mechanics to design and analyze systems that involve the flow of fluids. This could include designing efficient pumps and turbines for power generation, designing pipelines for oil and gas transportation, or designing aircraft wings for optimal aerodynamics.

5. What are some common real-life examples of fluid mechanics?

Some common examples of fluid mechanics in our daily lives include the flow of water through pipes in our homes, the flight of airplanes, the operation of car engines, and the movement of blood through our bodies. Understanding fluid mechanics is crucial in many aspects of our modern world.