[Fluids] Determine pressure change from industrial jet pump

This is also known as the increase in pressure PB-PA. In summary, we can use the Bernoulli's equation to solve for the pressure difference between points A and B in a fluid flow system, where the potential energy term can be ignored if the height remains constant.
Bluestribute

Homework Statement

The apparatus or "jet pump" used in an industrial plant is constructed by placing the tube within the pipe. The velocity of the flow within the 200-mm-diameter pipe is 2 m/s, and the velocity of the flow through the 20-mm-diameter tube is V = 37 m/s . The fluid is ethyl alcohol having a density of ρea = 790 kg/m3. Assume the pressure at each cross section of the pipe is uniform. Assume ethyl alcohol is ideal fluid, that is, incompressible and frictionless.

Determine the increase in pressure PB−PA that occurs between the back A and front B of the pipe.

Homework Equations

I'm assuming CoE since it has a pressure term explicitly

The Attempt at a Solution

So I don't really know where to begin. What I have:

Vin = 37 m/s
Vout = 2 m/s
ρ = 790 kg/m3
Ain = π(0.01m)2
Aout = π(0.1m)2

I'm using "in" and "out", but in the end, it's just deltas I'm looking for. But, like . . . I don't know where to begin with these numbers? Do I find kinetic energy? Set that equal to . . . something? Or find a force first. And what to do after that (I'm going to have a lot of questions with CoM and CoE)?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 395
Physics news on Phys.org

Based on the given information, we can use the Bernoulli's equation to solve for the pressure difference between points A and B. The Bernoulli's equation states that the total energy at any point in a fluid flow system is constant. This means that the sum of kinetic energy, potential energy, and pressure energy at point A is equal to the sum of kinetic energy, potential energy, and pressure energy at point B.

In this case, we can ignore the potential energy term since the height of the fluid is not changing. Therefore, we can write the Bernoulli's equation as:

P1 + 1/2ρV1^2 = P2 + 1/2ρV2^2

where P1 and V1 are the pressure and velocity at point A, and P2 and V2 are the pressure and velocity at point B.

Substituting the given values, we get:

P1 + 1/2(790)(37)^2 = P2 + 1/2(790)(2)^2

Solving for P2, we get:

P2 = P1 + 1/2(790)(37)^2 - 1/2(790)(2)^2

P2 = P1 + 692,050 Pa

Therefore, the pressure difference between points A and B is 692,050 Pa or 692.05 kPa.

Related to [Fluids] Determine pressure change from industrial jet pump

1. What is an industrial jet pump?

An industrial jet pump is a device used in industries to transfer fluids from one location to another. It uses the principle of fluid dynamics to create a high velocity jet of fluid that entrains and mixes with the surrounding fluid, creating a lower pressure at the suction end and a higher pressure at the discharge end.

2. How does an industrial jet pump work?

An industrial jet pump works by utilizing the Bernoulli's principle, which states that an increase in the speed of a fluid occurs simultaneously with a decrease in pressure. The pump creates a high-speed jet of fluid that creates a low-pressure zone at the suction end, allowing it to draw in fluids from a source. The jet then slows down and mixes with the surrounding fluid, creating a high-pressure zone at the discharge end, where the fluid is then forced out.

3. What are the applications of an industrial jet pump?

Industrial jet pumps have a wide range of applications in various industries, including oil and gas, chemical, food and beverage, and wastewater treatment. They are commonly used for fluid transfer, mixing, and circulation, as well as for creating vacuum or pressure in a system.

4. How do you determine the pressure change in an industrial jet pump?

The pressure change in an industrial jet pump can be determined by using the Bernoulli's equation, which relates the velocity, pressure, and elevation of a fluid in motion. By measuring the velocity of the jet and the pressure at the suction and discharge ends, the change in pressure can be calculated using this equation.

5. What are the advantages of using an industrial jet pump?

Some of the advantages of using an industrial jet pump include its simplicity, cost-effectiveness, and versatility. They require minimal maintenance and have no moving parts, making them reliable and durable. They can also handle a wide range of fluid viscosities and are energy-efficient compared to other types of pumps.