How do you solve this stoichiometry problem? Is it possible?

In summary, the conversation discusses the dilution of a compound containing chlorine, where 10.25g of the original compound is diluted and combined with AgNO3 to create 35.5g of AgCl. The mass percent of chlorine in the original compound is unknown due to lack of information about the dilution process. A teacher also confirms that there is not enough information for the problem to be solved.
AAAA
10.25g of a compound, including chlorine is then diluted. So there is 10.25g in the original compound, which is then diluted. 30mL of that solution is combined with an excess of AgNO3 to create 35.5g of AgCl. What is the mass percent of chlorine in the original compound/sample.

I got 8.78g for the grams of the 30mL of solution. But I don't know how much it was diluted to. So I got 8.78/10.25→~86%

I don't understand how to solve this. I asked a teacher and he didn't know either, saying there wasn't enough information.

Physics news on Phys.org
This should land in the homework section.

But I agree with your teacher - there is not enough information, you need details about the dilution process.

Related to How do you solve this stoichiometry problem? Is it possible?

What is stoichiometry and why is it important?

Stoichiometry is a branch of chemistry that involves calculating the amounts of reactants and products in a chemical reaction. It is important because it helps us understand the relationship between the amounts of substances involved in a reaction and allows us to predict the outcome of a reaction.

How do you approach solving a stoichiometry problem?

The first step is to write a balanced chemical equation for the reaction. Then, determine the given information and the unknown quantity. Next, convert the given quantity to moles and use the mole ratio from the balanced equation to calculate the moles of the unknown. Finally, convert the moles of the unknown to the desired unit.

Is it possible to solve any stoichiometry problem?

Yes, as long as you have the necessary information and a balanced chemical equation, you can solve any stoichiometry problem.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a stoichiometry problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid include using incorrect units, not converting between units properly, and forgetting to include coefficients from the balanced equation in calculations.

How can I check my answer to a stoichiometry problem?

You can check your answer by making sure it is reasonable and makes sense in the context of the problem. You can also double check your calculations and make sure all units are correct. Another way is to use dimensional analysis to see if your answer has the correct units and cancels out any unnecessary units.