How Do You Invert the Function Q(t) in a Camera Flash Capacitor Model?

In summary, Q* represents the capacitor's charge, and the inverse is t*a/ln(Q*), which you can solve for t. It takes about 1.9 seconds to recharge the capacitor to 90% if a = 5.
Comael321

Homework Statement

When a camera flashes, the batteries begin recharging the flash capacitor which stores the charge Q according to the function Q(t) = Q* (1-e-t/a) where t is the elapsed time in seconds since the camera flash and Q* and a are non-zero

(a) What does Q* represent?
(b) Find the inverse of this function
(c) How long does it take to recharge the capacitor to 90% if a = 5?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I said that Q* was the constant of proportionality, but I'm not sure how right that is.

My attempt at the inverse came out as t*a/ln(Q*) = Q

I'm wondering if my answer for (a) is at all correct, and where to go from here, I have no idea how to attempt (c) and I think my answer to (b) is wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Comael321 said:

Homework Statement

When a camera flashes, the batteries begin recharging the flash capacitor which stores the charge Q according to the function Q(t) = Q* (1-e-t/a) where t is the elapsed time in seconds since the camera flash and Q* and a are non-zero

(a) What does Q* represent?
(b) Find the inverse of this function
(c) How long does it take to recharge the capacitor to 90% if a = 5?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I said that Q* was the constant of proportionality, but I'm not sure how right that is.

My attempt at the inverse came out as t*a/ln(Q*) = Q

I'm wondering if my answer for (a) is at all correct, and where to go from here, I have no idea how to attempt (c) and I think my answer to (b) is wrong.

Try plotting Q(t) for a couple of different Q* values (but for the same a---just pick some value). What do you get?

RGV

We're not allowed to use a graphing calculator in this course, otherwise I would've played around with the graphs a bit, but I don't want to become dependent on my calculator to solve these, cause it'll bit me in the arse in the exam

a. I believe that Q* should be some type of initial constant, and a is proportionality constant. I'm not entirely sure of this, but that's what I'm thinking just off of the top of my head. If it helps you, I'm thinking of this as a differential equation; I can explain more to you if you would like.

b. The inverse should be:
[itex]Q = Q(t)[/itex]

[itex]t = Q[/itex]*[itex](1-e^{\frac{-Q}{a}})[/itex]

[itex]1-\frac{t}{Q*}=e^{\frac{-Q}{a}}[/itex]

[itex]ln(1-\frac{t}{Q*})=-Q*a[/itex]

[itex]Q=\frac{-ln(1-\frac{t}{Q})}{a}[/itex]

c. You plug in .9 for the value of Q(t), and 5 as the value for a. The value for Q* is 1 I believe, but I am not absolutely certain on that one. With these values, solve the equation for t.

Comael321 said:
We're not allowed to use a graphing calculator in this course, otherwise I would've played around with the graphs a bit, but I don't want to become dependent on my calculator to solve these, cause it'll bit me in the arse in the exam

You are certainly allowed to draw graphs on pieces of scrap paper and throw them away later, after you have used them to gain insight into some issues. The point is that you should not need to draw a graph at all, but since you are missing a key insight, drawing a graph would be helpful to you---more helpful in the long run than being told by someone what is the correct answer.

RGV

Related to How Do You Invert the Function Q(t) in a Camera Flash Capacitor Model?

What is an inverse exponential function?

An inverse exponential function is a mathematical operation that undoes the action of an exponential function. It is represented as f(x) = a^x, where a is a positive constant and x is the variable.

How do you find the inverse of an exponential function?

To find the inverse of an exponential function, swap the positions of x and y in the equation and then solve for y. The resulting equation will be the inverse of the original exponential function.

What is the domain and range of an inverse exponential function?

The domain of an inverse exponential function is all real numbers, since the function can take any value for x. The range, however, is limited to positive real numbers, as the base of an exponential function must be positive.

What is the graph of an inverse exponential function?

The graph of an inverse exponential function is a reflection of the graph of the original exponential function over the line y = x. It starts at (0,1) and approaches the x-axis as x increases.

What are some real-world applications of inverse exponential functions?

Inverse exponential functions are used in finance to calculate compound interest and in population growth models to predict the growth or decline of a population. They are also used in physics to model radioactive decay and in chemistry to describe the relationship between concentration and reaction rate.