Find the value of a and the coordinates Q and T

In summary, the function f(x) = 2a^2x(x-a)^2 intersects with the line y = ax at the origin, point Q(b,f(b)) and point T(c,f(c)) where c>b>0. A probability density function, p(x) = ax-f(x), can be formed over the domain [b,c]. To find a, b, and c, you must solve for them simultaneously using the given information. Once you have found these values, you can then calculate the probability of the interval [2^(1/3), 2^(2/3)] using the equation ∫_b^cf(x)dx=1 and rounding the result to 4 decimal places.
Saracen Rue

Homework Statement

The function ##f(x)=2a^2x\left(x-a\right)^2## intersects with the line ##y=ax## at the origin, point ##Q(b,f(b))## and point ##T(c,f(c))## where ##c>b>0##. A probability density function, ##p(x)=ax-f(x)## can be formed over the domain ##[b,c]##.

(a) Determine the exact values for:
  1. The constant, ##a##
  2. The coordinates ##Q## and ##T##
(b) Calculate ##Pr(2^{1/3}≤X≤2^{2/3})## correct to 4 decimal places

Homework Equations

For PDFs: ##∫_b^cf(x)dx=1##

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that for ##p(x)## to be a probability function, the integration of ##p(x)## over the domain ##[b,c]## must equal 1. However, the problem here is that we don't have the values of ##b## or ##c##. Given that part 1 of the question is to find ##a##, I assume we have to find that to be able to find ##b## and ##c##. However, I'm kind of at a loss as how I would go about doing this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Saracen Rue said:
we don't have the values of b or c
You know they are such that Q and T lie on the intersection of the two curves, so b and c must be solutions to a certain equation.

I'll give you a small hint to get you started: the first step is to solve a couple things simultaneously. You shouldn't have too much trouble with the rest from there :)

Related to Find the value of a and the coordinates Q and T

1. What does finding the value of a mean?

Finding the value of a refers to solving for the variable "a" in an equation or problem. It allows us to determine the unknown quantity in a given scenario.

2. How do you find the value of a?

The process of finding the value of a depends on the specific equation or problem. It often involves using algebraic techniques such as substitution or elimination to isolate the variable a and solve for its value.

3. Why is it important to find the value of a?

Finding the value of a is important because it allows us to understand and solve various mathematical problems and equations. It also helps us make predictions and analyze data in the fields of science and engineering.

4. What are the coordinates Q and T used for?

The coordinates Q and T are used to represent points on a coordinate plane. These points have specific x and y values that help us locate them and understand their relationship to other points or objects in a given scenario.

5. Can the value of a and the coordinates Q and T change?

Yes, the value of a and the coordinates Q and T can change depending on the context of the problem or equation. They can also change if we alter the variables or parameters in the equation.