How Do You Calculate the Induced Electric Field in a Solenoid?

In summary: Therefore you must use r of the point you are measuring at for the left side and r of the solenoid for the right side. So the equation should look like this:2(pi)r1*E = -(pi)r2^2(dB/dt)2(pi)(.082)(E) = -(pi)(.06)^2(-6.3e-3)E = 2.583e-4This is assuming that the induced electric field is going in the same direction as the change in magnetic field.
exitwound

Homework Statement

A long solenoid has a diameter of 12.0 cm. When a current i exists in its windings, a uniform magnetic field = 25.0 mT is produced in its interior. By decreasing i, the field is caused to decrease at the rate of 6.30 mT/s. Calculate the magnitude of the induced electric field at the following distances from the axis of the solenoid's magnetic field.

a.) 2.20cm
b.) 8.20cm

Homework Equations

[tex]\int \vec E \cdot d\vec S = -\frac{d\phi}{dt}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the first part of the problem right. I can't stand this crappy WebAssign garbage homework system.

The equation to use to find the E-field at 8.20cm should be the same one used to find the E-field at 2.20cm because those distances still reside inside the solenoid.

[tex]\int \vec E \cdot d\vec S = ES = 2\pi rE[/tex]

[tex]\phi = \int B \cdot d\vec A = BA = B\pi r^2[/tex]

[tex]-\frac{d\phi}{dt} = -\pi r^2 \frac{dB}{dt}[/tex]

[tex] 2\pi rE = - \pi r^2 \frac{dB}{dt}[/tex]

[tex]E= \frac{-r}{2} \frac{dB}{dt} = -\frac{(.082)(-6.3x10^{-3})}{2} = 2.58x10^{-4}[/tex]

What's wrong with this? It only depends on the radius from the center because I'm still inside the magnetic field produced by the solenoid. If I was outside the solenoid's magnetic field, I'd end up with (-R^2/2r)(dB/dt) but I'm not. so what's wrong with this??

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks fine to me. Are you sure it isn't a problem with the sign (try a negative number) o with sig figs?

It most likely IS something stupid like that. I've encountered other issues with the submissions that aren't my fault too. Like, the book says [itex]\mu_o[/itex] is 4pix10^-7 = 1.26e-6... but if you use 1.26e-6, you end up with a rounding error that the software calls out to be wrong.

This is a terrible way to administer homework. I come here thinking my answer and solution is wrong, taking over an hour to check and double dcheck it only to find out that it's RIGHT. It's insane.

Thanks for looking it over though.

And it can't be the negative sign. There's a negative change of the B-field, in an equation that has a -dB/dt. so it should be a positive answer.

I tried submitting different answers (negatives, sig figs) nothing worked. I got locked out and got no credit for it. It's retarded.

Last edited:
I see the problem.

You put 2.58x10^-4 above but if you check your math it's actually:
2.583x10^-4.

I know its an old problem but hopefully it will help people that have this same problem in the future on webassigns.
The problem is that for part a, you are calculating the induced electric field inside of a solenoid (r=.06m). Therefore your math is correct if the r of part b were less than the r of the solenoid.
For part B, we are outside the solenoid. Therefore the magnetic flux is only going through that of the solenoid.
On the left side of the equation, 2(pi)r*E should use the radius of the point at which you are measuring at. On the right side of the equation -(pi)r2 should use the r of the solenoid because that is the only area through which the B field is going.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Induced Electric Field in a Solenoid?

What is an induced electric field?

An induced electric field is a type of electric field that is created in a conducting material when it is subjected to a changing magnetic field. This changing magnetic field can be caused by a moving magnet or a changing electric current.

How is an induced electric field different from a regular electric field?

A regular electric field is created by stationary charges, while an induced electric field is created by a changing magnetic field. Additionally, the direction of an induced electric field is perpendicular to both the direction of the changing magnetic field and the direction of the current in the conducting material.

What is Faraday's law of induction?

Faraday's law of induction states that the magnitude of an induced electric field is directly proportional to the rate of change of the magnetic field and the surface area of the conducting material. It can be expressed mathematically as E = -N(dΦ/dt), where E is the induced electric field, N is the number of turns in the conducting material, and dΦ/dt is the rate of change of the magnetic flux.

What are some real-life applications of induced electric fields?

Induced electric fields are used in a variety of technologies, such as generators, transformers, and electric motors. They are also used in wireless charging of electronic devices, electromagnetic induction cooktops, and metal detectors.

How can induced electric fields be controlled or manipulated?

Induced electric fields can be controlled or manipulated by changing the strength or direction of the magnetic field, changing the surface area of the conducting material, or changing the number of turns in the conducting material. This can be done using various techniques such as adjusting the distance between a magnet and a conducting material, using different materials with varying magnetic properties, or changing the speed or direction of a moving magnet.