How Do You Calculate Inverse Functions and Their Properties?

• Thread starter knowLittle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Definition
In summary, the homework statement is trying to determine what functions exist for real numbers in the range from 1 to sqrt(2). For each function, they determine the domain, range, inverse, and solutions.
knowLittle

Homework Statement

Let ## C= \{ x \in R : x \geq 1 \} ## and ## D = R^+ ##
For each f defined below, determine ## f(C), f^{-1}(C), f^{-1}(D), f^{-1} (\{1\}) ##

a.) ## f: R -> R ## is defined by ## f(x) =x^2##
I have problems with the definitions

The Attempt at a Solution

a.)
## f(C)= { 1 , 4, 9, 16, ...} ## according to the definitions of x in C, x belongs to reals and it's greater or equal to 1. Then, 2 should be in f(C), but it's not. However, in the solutions I see this.

##f(C)= C, f^{-1}(C)=C \cup \{x \in R: -x \in C\} , f^{-1}(D) = R - \{0\} , f^{-1}(\{1\})= \{1, -1\}##

-----
About , ## f^{-1} (C) ## should we exclude C, since it is the inverse of this? How do they find this?
About the inverse of f(D), why do they exclude only 0, shouldn't they exclude all positive Reals?
The only one I understand is ## f^{-1} (\{1\}) = \{1, -1\} ## :/

The last one is true since we could do this:

f(x)= y =x^2
change vars.

## f^{-1} (x) =x = f(x)^2 ##
Then, x can be -1 or 1

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
knowLittle said:

Homework Statement

Let ## C= \{ x \in R : x \geq 1 \} ## and ## D = R^+ ##
For each f defined below, determine ## f(C), f^{-1}(C), f^{-1}(D), f^{-1} (\{1\}) ##

I have problems with the definitions

The Attempt at a Solution

a.)
## f(C)= { 1 , 4, 9, 16, ...} ## according to the definitions of x in C, x belongs to reals and it's greater or equal to 1. Then, 2 should be in f(C), but it's not. However, in the solutions I see this.

##f(C)= C, f^{-1}(C)=C \cup \{x \in R: -x \in C\} , f^{-1}(D) = R - \{0\} , f^{-1}(\{1\})= \{1, -1\}##

-----
About , ## f^{-1} (C) ## should we exclude C, since it is the inverse of this? How do they find this?
About the inverse of f(D), why do they exclude only 0, shouldn't they exclude all positive Reals?
The only one I understand is ## f^{-1} (\{1\}) = \{1, -1\} ##

The last one is true since we could do this:

f(x)= y =x^2
change vars.

## f^{-1} (x) =x = f(x)^2 ##
Then, x can be -1 or 1

C isn't only integers {1,2,3,...}, C is all real numbers greater than or equal to 1. So that includes sqrt(2). f(sqrt(2))=2. So 2 is in f(C).

Likes 1 person
Thank you, you are right.
How do I explain ## f^{-1} (C)## ? Why does it include all R+ too?

knowLittle said:
What is the definition of ## f^{-1} (C)\ ?##

In more descriptive terms, it's the pre-image of set C .

So, what values of ##\ x\ ## will produce values of ##\ f(x)\ ## which are in C ?

knowLittle said:
It doesn't. What is f(1/2)? Is that in C?

Related to How Do You Calculate Inverse Functions and Their Properties?

What is the definition of a function?

A function is a mathematical concept that relates an input value to an output value. It can also be thought of as a rule or set of instructions that takes in one or more input values and produces an output.

What are the components of a function?

A function typically has three main components: an input, a relationship, and an output. The input is the value or values that are given to the function, the relationship is the rule or instructions that determine the output, and the output is the resulting value or values.

How is a function written mathematically?

A function is usually written in the form of f(x), where f represents the function and x is the input variable. The relationship between the input and output values is expressed using mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, or exponents.

What is the difference between a function and an equation?

While both functions and equations can be used to describe mathematical relationships, a function has specific inputs and outputs, while an equation can have multiple variables and solutions. In other words, an equation is a statement, while a function is a rule.

Why are functions important in mathematics and science?

Functions are important in mathematics and science because they allow us to model and understand real-world phenomena. They are used to describe and analyze relationships between different quantities, and can be used to make predictions and solve problems in a variety of fields, from physics and chemistry to economics and engineering.