Points on either side of a line

In summary, the points (0, 0) and (1, 1) can be on either side of the line if the line has a negative x intercept and passes through (1, 1).
mmaismma
Summary:: The set of values of ##b## for which the origin and the point ##(1, 1)## lie on the same side of the straight line ##a^2x+aby+1=0## ##\forall~a\in\mathbb{R},~b>0##.(a) ##a\geq1## or ##a\leq-3##
(b) ##a\in~(-3,~0)\cup(\frac13,~1)##
(c) ##a\in~(0,~1)##
(d) ##a\in~(-\infty,~0)##

I tried solving it but I didn't get an answer:

##f(x)=a^2+aby+1=0\\
f(0, 0)=0+0+1>0\\
So,~f(1, 1)>0\\
a^2+ab+1>0\\
{}^A/_Q~a\in\mathbb{R}\\
So,~D>0\\
b^2-4.1>0\\
b^2>4\\
b\in(2,~\infty)
##

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: As long as the intersection between the line given and the line through (0, 0) and (1, 1) is outside the stub between (0, 0) and (1, 1), both points lie on the same side of the given line. So, find the intersection...

I moved the thread to our homework section.
The problem statement talks about the set of values for b but the multiple choice answers are about a. What is it?

While the approach of post 2 is possible I like the approach of post 1 more.

mmaismma said:
Summary:: The set of values of ##b## for which the origin and the point ##(1, 1)## lie on the same side of the straight line ##a^2x+aby+1=0## ##\forall~a\in\mathbb{R},~b>0##.(a) ##a\geq1## or ##a\leq-3##
(b) ##a\in~(-3,~0)\cup(\frac13,~1)##
(c) ##a\in~(0,~1)##
(d) ##a\in~(-\infty,~0)##
I noticed that the title of this tread tells us that the points are on either side of the line, meaning to me that the line passes between the points.

On the other hand, your statement of the problem says that the points, (0, 0) and (1, 1) both lie on the same side of the line.

Looking at the choices given for the answer, I suspect that the Title gives the correct version. That also agrees with your result for ##b##.

Edit:
Another thought. No matter which of the two possibilities is being asked, consider the following.

It's straight forward to determine each of the following in terms of ##a## and ##b##: the slope and the x and y intercepts. Furthermore, the x intercept depends only on ##a##, not on ##b##. In fact the x intercept is negative for all allowed values of ##a##.

With this in mind, you can determine the parameters needed for the line to have a negative x intercept and which also passes through (1, 1). This line will separate those lines passing between the two points from those for which both points are on the same side.

Last edited:

Related to Points on either side of a line

1. What does it mean for points to be "on either side" of a line?

When points are said to be "on either side" of a line, it means that they are located on opposite sides of the line, with the line acting as a divider between them. This can also be understood as the points being located in different quadrants or regions of a coordinate plane.

2. How do you determine which side of a line a point is on?

In order to determine which side of a line a point is on, you can use the slope-intercept form of a line (y = mx + b) to plug in the x and y values of the point. If the resulting equation is true, then the point lies on the line. If the resulting equation is false, then the point lies on one of the sides of the line.

3. Can a point be on both sides of a line?

No, a point cannot be on both sides of a line at the same time. A point must be located either on the line or on one side of the line, but not on both sides simultaneously.

4. What is the significance of points being on either side of a line?

Points being on either side of a line is important in understanding the relationship between the points and the line. It can indicate the direction in which the points are moving, or the areas of a graph where certain conditions are met.

5. How does the location of points on either side of a line affect the slope of the line?

The location of points on either side of a line does not directly affect the slope of the line. The slope of a line is determined solely by the rise (vertical change) over the run (horizontal change) between any two points on the line. However, the location of points can give insight into the steepness or direction of the line's slope.