How do 'unique' courses look on graduate applications?

In summary, the professor expects the course you are taking this summer to look good on your graduate school application for physics. However, there will be no course description or even course listing in your University catalogue, so it's unclear how special the class will appear. You'll need to work hard to make the class look good and show that you are driven and self motivated.
Troponin
I'm wondering how I can expect the "course" I'm taking this summer to look on a graduate school application for physics? I put "course" in quotations because I'm the only one in the course, and it is kind of made up for me as sort of an independent study with a professor.

The professor will dictate the focus of the course, but he said to start reading "Astrophysics of Gaseous Nebulae and Active Galactic Nuclei" by Osterbrock.

My first thought was "Great! This will look really good on my application!"
But after thinking about it...there will really be no way for the schools to know exactly what the course involved. There will be no course description or even course listing in my University catalogue...so now I'm not so sure it will look like anything special. I'm curious to see how an independent study type class like I'll be taking this summer will look to grad programs in comparison to the research stuff and graduate courses. (I'm not sure of the listing on this course, but I think it will be listed as a 5000 level course, which is graduate or special permission undergraduate level at my University)

I get the impression from the professor that he is going to put me through a good deal of torment...so I'm hoping that the end result won't be a "meh...so he took a non-standard class...next applicant!" when grad admissions see the listing on my records. lol

Physics news on Phys.org
Have the professor write a letter of recommendation for you. Then he can describe what you did. Assuming you do OK in it, of course...

I can't speak to how admissions officials will see it, but I think it shows that you are ambitious, driven, and self motivated. It takes a lot of discipline to self-study.

You'll have plenty of valid skills to talk about when it comes to graduate school, and that is very important.

Cool. I was hoping to hear answers along these lines. lol
It looks like it's going to be more work than the credit hours will show, so I hope I can show that on my applications.

I'll have the professor write a letter of recommendation (if I do well...), hopefully that will make it clear.

Thanks for the advice!

Related to How do 'unique' courses look on graduate applications?

1. How do unique courses impact a graduate application?

Unique courses can have a significant impact on a graduate application. They can demonstrate your academic curiosity, versatility, and ability to think outside the box. Admissions committees often view unique courses as a positive attribute, as they show that you are not afraid to challenge yourself and explore new areas of knowledge.

2. What qualifies as a unique course?

A unique course can be any class that is not commonly offered or required in your field of study. It can also be a course that combines multiple subjects or approaches, such as a cross-disciplinary class or a hands-on research project. Ultimately, what makes a course unique is its ability to set you apart from other applicants and showcase your individual interests and strengths.

3. Is it better to take a unique course or a more traditional one?

There is no right answer to this question, as it ultimately depends on your goals and interests. If you have a specific research or career path in mind, it may be beneficial to take more traditional courses that align with that path. However, if you are looking to stand out and diversify your academic background, a unique course may be a better choice.

4. How should I explain a unique course in my application?

In your application, you should provide a brief description of the unique course and its objectives. You should also explain how it relates to your academic and personal interests and how it has influenced your growth and development. Be sure to highlight any skills or knowledge gained from the course that would be relevant to your graduate studies.

5. Are unique courses from online platforms or MOOCs considered valuable on a graduate application?

Yes, unique courses from online platforms or MOOCs can be valuable on a graduate application. These courses demonstrate your dedication to continuous learning and your ability to self-motivate and manage your time effectively. However, it is important to ensure that these courses are from reputable sources and are relevant to your field of study.