How Do Ships A and B Move Relative to Each Other?

In summary: After what time will the ships be 125 nautical miles apart?The ships will be 125 nautical miles apart after 3 hours.
Jharr94

Homework Statement

Two ships, A and B, leave port at the same time. Ship A travels northwest at 22 knots and ship B travels at 29 knots in a direction 40° west of south.

(a) What is the magnitude the velocity of ship A relative to B?

(b) What is the direction of the velocity of ship A relative to B?

(c) After what time will the ships be 125 nautical miles apart?

(d) What will be the bearing of B (the direction of B's position) relative to A at that time?

Homework Equations

V_aw=V_ab+V_b Where a is boat a, b is boat b, and w is the water-also aw is ship a's velocity with respect to the water, ab is the velocity of a with respect to b)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the componets of the two vectors(with respect to a y-axis that's positive in the north direction and an x-axis positive in the east direction) as:
A=(-15.55i+15.55j) or (22cos45+22sin45)
B=(-22.22i+-18.64j) or (29cos40+29sin40)

I've found these componets with respect to their own frames of reference, however the problems asks for the magnitude of the velocity of a with respect to b, so should I measure my angles of a from the b vector? I'm lost as to how to solve. Also I've come to the conclusion that this is addition( or subtraction) of vectors a and b, being that its a with respect to b however I'm not sure if it is B-A=C (with c being the velocity of a with respect to b)or A-B=C.

Physics news on Phys.org
So I'm looking for V_ab( velocity of a with respect to b), therefore the velocity of a(V_a) is equal to the velocity of b(V_B) plus the velocity of a with respect to b(V_ab) and I know both a and b so:

V_a=V_ab+V_b

22=V_ab+29

-7=V_ab

however is is showing as incorrect(I used 7 since it asked for the magnitude)

I also tried the vector equations:

(V_ax+V_ay)=(V_abx+V_aby)+(V_bx+V_by)

or

(-15.55i+15.55j)=(V_abx+V_aby)+(-22.22i+18.64j)

so when I separate the equations I get:

-15.55=V_abx-22.22

V_abx=6.67i

15.55=V_aby+18.64

V_aby=-3.09

therefore V_ab=(6.67i+3.09j)
so the magnitude of V_ab should be 7.35
Right?

I really need help with this, its due in a few hours. =/

Welcome to PF!

Jharr94 said:
Two ships, A and B, leave port at the same time. Ship A travels northwest at 22 knots and ship B travels at 29 knots in a direction 40° west of south.

B=(-22.22i+-18.64j) or (29cos40+29sin40)

Hi Jharr94! Welcome to PF! :smile:

West of south is between southwest and south.

You're using south of west. :cry:

Related to How Do Ships A and B Move Relative to Each Other?

1. What is relative motion of ships?

Relative motion of ships refers to the movement of a ship relative to another object or point of reference. It takes into account the speed, direction, and position of both ships to determine their relative motion.

2. Why is it important to understand relative motion of ships?

Understanding relative motion of ships is crucial for navigation and safety at sea. It allows ships to determine their position relative to other vessels and avoid collisions. It also helps in planning routes and predicting potential obstacles.

3. How is relative motion of ships calculated?

Relative motion of ships is calculated using vector addition. This involves breaking down the velocities and directions of both ships into components and then adding them together to determine the overall relative motion.

4. What factors can affect relative motion of ships?

The relative motion of ships can be affected by factors such as wind, currents, and tides. These external forces can alter the speed and direction of a ship, thus impacting its relative motion with other vessels.

5. Can relative motion of ships be measured?

Yes, relative motion of ships can be measured using various instruments such as radar, sonar, and GPS. These technologies can accurately determine the relative positions and movements of ships, aiding in safe navigation.