How do i calculate this dot product

In summary, the dot product of the vectors (1,0) and (1/√2, 1/√2) is equal to 1/√2, or approximately 0.7071. This is because when the two vectors are dotted together, the sum of the products of their corresponding components is equal to 1/√2, which is the same as the dot product of two perpendicular vectors.
vande060

Homework Statement

i dot 1/√2( i + j)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that perpendicular vectors are zero are dotted together, and parallel vectors dotted are 1. I am tempted do do the distributive property where i dot i is 1 and i dot j is zero, but I have a feeling this is not right

Physics news on Phys.org
i.i = 1

So you are essentially correct.

The dot product of two vectors with components (a,b,c) and (d,e,f) is simply the sum of the products of the corresponding components. In this case, a*d + b*e + c*f.

These vectors written in the form using unit vectors to represent the component directions are: ai + bj + ck, and di + ej + fk, where i,j,k are the unit vectors. The components are still (a,b,c) and (d,e,f).

It looks like your vectors are 2D vectors, (1,0) and (1/√2, 1/√2).

Related to How do i calculate this dot product

1. What is a dot product?

A dot product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a scalar value. It is also known as an inner product or a scalar product.

2. How do I calculate a dot product?

To calculate a dot product, you need to multiply the corresponding components of the two vectors and then add all the products together. For example, if you have two vectors A = [a1, a2, a3] and B = [b1, b2, b3], the dot product would be a1 * b1 + a2 * b2 + a3 * b3.

3. What is the purpose of a dot product?

The dot product is used to calculate the angle between two vectors, determine if two vectors are perpendicular, and project one vector onto another. It is also used in many applications such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

4. Can dot products be calculated for vectors of different dimensions?

No, dot products can only be calculated for vectors of the same dimension. This means that the number of components in each vector must be equal in order to perform the dot product calculation.

5. How is a dot product related to the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector can be calculated using the dot product by taking the square root of the dot product of the vector with itself. In other words, the magnitude of a vector A can be determined by taking the square root of A dot A.