How can you tell that this iron operates using the mains supply?

In summary, a new member of the forum is seeking help with a basic physics question. The question involves understanding the information on a plate attached to a new iron, which includes voltage, wattage, and frequency. After some calculations, the member is still unsure how to answer the final question about determining if the iron can operate using mains supply. They are seeking help as their exam is in a couple of weeks.
chessie273
Hi, I'm new to the forum so i don't really quite know what I'm doing yet!

anyway, i know this question is REALLY basic but physics is not my forte and I'm confused...

"John has just bought a new iron and sees this plate on the handle -
230V
1840W
50Hz"

John irons a shirt for 10s

energy transformed = power x time

so if I'm correct:
time = 10s
power= 1840W
energy transformed = 18400J

the final question "John can tell from the plate that the iron can operate using mains supply. How can he tell this?"

and i have absolutely no idea!

help would be greatly appreciated - i really need to understand this, its from a gcse mock paper and my exam is in a couple of weeks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't actually see any question. Where did the 10 seconds come from?

You should post the question exactly as it was given to you.

- Warren

Based on the information provided, it can be determined that the iron operates using the mains supply because of the following reasons:

1. The voltage listed on the handle of the iron is 230V. This is the standard voltage for mains supply in most countries.

2. The power listed on the handle is 1840W. This is a high amount of power, which is necessary for heating the iron to the desired temperature. Mains supply is capable of providing this amount of power.

3. The frequency listed on the handle is 50Hz. This is also a standard frequency for mains supply in most countries.

4. When John irons a shirt for 10 seconds, the energy transformed is 18400J. This amount of energy is consistent with the amount of energy that would be used by an iron operating on mains supply.

Overall, the combination of the high voltage, power, and frequency, along with the energy used during ironing, indicates that the iron operates using the mains supply. Additionally, the fact that the iron has a plug that can be inserted into an outlet further supports this conclusion.

Related to How can you tell that this iron operates using the mains supply?

1. How can you determine if an iron is compatible with the mains supply?

To determine if an iron is compatible with the mains supply, you can look for a label or sticker on the iron that indicates the voltage and frequency it can operate on. Typically, irons that are compatible with the mains supply will have a voltage range of 110-120 volts and a frequency of 60 Hz.

2. What is the difference between an iron that operates using the mains supply and one that does not?

The main difference between an iron that operates using the mains supply and one that does not is the source of power. An iron that operates using the mains supply will be powered by electricity from a wall outlet, while one that does not will require batteries or another external power source.

3. Can all irons be used with the mains supply?

No, not all irons can be used with the mains supply. Some irons are designed to be used with batteries or other external power sources, while others are specifically designed to be used with the mains supply. It is important to check the label or manual of your iron to determine if it is compatible with the mains supply.

4. How can I tell if my iron is using the mains supply or batteries?

If your iron has a cord that plugs into a wall outlet, it is using the mains supply. If it does not have a cord and relies on batteries or another external power source, then it is not using the mains supply. Additionally, you can check the label or manual of your iron for more information about its power source.

5. Is it safe to use an iron that operates using the mains supply?

Yes, it is safe to use an iron that operates using the mains supply as long as it is used according to the manufacturer's instructions. It is important to ensure that the iron is properly grounded and that the outlet it is plugged into is in good condition. It is also recommended to use surge protectors to prevent any potential electrical hazards.