PC Power Consumption: Can I Use a UPS to Supply Voltage?

In summary, the conversation discusses the feasibility of using a dedicated line from an Intranet UPS to power electronic devices, such as PCs and laptops. The idea is to modify the SMPS to take in 20V from the UPS instead of the usual 230V, thus eliminating the need for an AC adapter. This could potentially save energy and be a more efficient solution in the future. However, there are some challenges, such as the need for expensive DC-DC converters and heavy cables, as well as difficulties in switching high current DC.
apkvnbw
can anyone tell me my quote is feasible?

Electronic devices requires 1 to 12v approx to function.
Indian Electricity board supplies us 230v for domestic & official appliances; so additionally we need an AC adapter to convert into DC (a sort of stepping down the power) . we cannot ask government to supply 12v dedicated line for electronic devices (it's because of transmission loss & various technological factors)
Rather, we can provide dedicated line from Intranet UPS that suites our requirement.

We have a power distribution unit in our PC called SMPS (Switched Mode Power Supply)

HTSL UPS --> 230V --> SMPS --> (5V, 2V, 6V, 12V… etc)

SMPS takes 230V input & produces various lines of 6v, 2v, 5v, etc as per the requirement of internal components like motherboard, CPU, cooling fan, dos speakers, power led’s… etc.
My solution starts here. We can supply 20v or the maximum output of SMPS from our local UPS. SMPS has to be modified so that it can take 20V input and produces the same output as it does with 230V

HTSL UPS --> 20V --> Modified SMPS --> (5V, 2V, 6V, 12V… etc)

This is for normal PC’s. When we think of laptops, no concept of SMPS, it has a battery, it can supply DC current of required voltages, To charge the battery, we have an adapter that takes, Input: 100-240V 1.3A(1,3 A) 50-60Hz & produces Output: 19.5V(19,5V) 4,7A(4,7 A).
So, we can use our 20v output line from UPS directly to charge our laptop batteries without having an adapter.
If we succeeds in this approach, we can save energy and it would be the optimal solution for future requirements.

Yours,
Vivek Ananda Raj

Engineering news on Phys.org
You can distribute DC direct from the UPS to the computer, this is common in large data centers and especially telecoms - a couple of problems.
You can't use a SMPS anymore, they need AC, so if you distribute a single DC supply (48V is normal) you need expensive DC-DC converters at each machine to generate +12V, +-5V. Alternatively you need complex wiring to distribute different DC voltages and keep their grounds correct.
To run a lot of machines you need very heavy cables (DC needs heavier wires at the same current than AC), a 480W PSU replacement needs 20A at 12V for each PC.
It's also difficult to switch high current DC.
The SMPS is actually very efficient.

Yes, your quote is feasible. Using a UPS to supply voltage to electronic devices is a common practice and can help save energy. However, modifying the SMPS to take 20V input may require technical expertise and should be done carefully to avoid any damage to the device. Additionally, using the 20V output line from the UPS to charge laptop batteries may also require some modifications and careful consideration of the voltage and current requirements of the battery. It is important to consult with a qualified technician before making any changes to electronic devices. Overall, using a UPS to supply voltage can be a practical solution for future energy efficiency needs.

Related to PC Power Consumption: Can I Use a UPS to Supply Voltage?

1. How much power does a PC consume?

The power consumption of a PC varies depending on the components and usage. On average, a desktop PC consumes between 60-300 watts, while a laptop consumes between 15-60 watts.

2. Can I use a UPS to supply voltage to my PC?

Yes, a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) can be used to supply voltage to a PC. A UPS acts as a backup power source in case of a power outage, protecting your PC from sudden shutdowns that can cause damage.

3. How do I calculate the power consumption of my PC?

To calculate the power consumption of your PC, you can use a power supply calculator or manually add up the wattage of each component in your PC. Keep in mind that the power supply should be able to handle at least 20% more power than your PC's total consumption to avoid overloading.

4. Are there any downsides to using a UPS for my PC?

One potential downside of using a UPS for your PC is the cost. UPS units can be expensive, especially if you have a high-powered PC that requires a larger unit. Additionally, UPS units have a limited battery life and will eventually need to be replaced.

5. Can a UPS improve the performance of my PC?

No, a UPS will not improve the performance of your PC. Its main purpose is to provide backup power and protect your PC from power outages. However, in areas with frequent power fluctuations, a UPS can help prevent damage to your PC and data loss.