How Can You Build a Zero Voltage Detector Circuit for a Burned-Out Tail Light?

In summary, the conversation discusses building a circuit to detect when a tail light is burned out and light an LED in the dash. The individual is unsure of how to use op amps and considers connecting the inputs to the lamp socket and chassis ground, but realizes this may result in linear mode. They are looking for guidance and suggestions, such as adding a resistor or using a Hall Effect sensor.
jssamp
I'm trying to build a simple circuit to detect when a lamp (tail light) is burned out, and light an LED in the dash. I think I can use a couple op amps but not sure how.

My plan was to connect non-inv input to the (-) lead of the lamp socket and the other input to chassis ground. But I think this is the opposite of what I want. When the bulb burns out no current runs through it to the input line so it should be nearly the same as input 2. But this will result in linear mode and I want positive saturation to power the LED.

If anybody can guide me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hint: When the lamp is burned out, that part of the circuit will be open, like opening a switch.

jssamp said:
I'm trying to build a simple circuit to detect when a lamp (tail light) is burned out, and light an LED in the dash. I think I can use a couple op amps but not sure how.
It's probably not as easy as you'd think, especially if you set a goal of not modifying the vehicle's original wiring. You could do something like adding a resistor in series with each lamp's electrical wire, and look for a voltage across that when power is applied to the lighting circuits.

Or, if you don't want to modify the wiring at all, look into using a Hall Effect sensor. It detects the magnetic field near a cable carrying current. If the bulb is not working, it will draw no current through its wires.

Related to How Can You Build a Zero Voltage Detector Circuit for a Burned-Out Tail Light?

1. What is a zero voltage detector circuit?

A zero voltage detector circuit is an electronic circuit that detects when the voltage level drops to zero. It is commonly used to detect power outages or to trigger a switch when the voltage level reaches zero.

2. How does a zero voltage detector circuit work?

A zero voltage detector circuit works by using a voltage comparator to compare the input voltage to a reference voltage. When the input voltage drops below the reference voltage, the comparator outputs a low signal, indicating that the voltage has reached zero.

3. What are the applications of a zero voltage detector circuit?

Some common applications of a zero voltage detector circuit include power outage detection, battery monitoring, and triggering switches in power supply circuits.

4. Can a zero voltage detector circuit be used with AC and DC voltages?

Yes, a zero voltage detector circuit can be designed to work with both AC and DC voltages. However, the circuit design may vary depending on the type of voltage it is detecting.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using a zero voltage detector circuit?

One disadvantage of using a zero voltage detector circuit is that it may not be suitable for detecting small fluctuations in voltage. Additionally, it may not work properly in noisy environments or with non-linear voltage waveforms.