Can I make a gate that will work with AC voltage?

In summary, a 555 timer can be used to create a circuit that only allows the doorbell to ring once every 30 seconds.
Freddythunder
Hello, I remember a few decades ago I built a circuit with my dad using what I think was a 741 op amp and a 555 timer and a loose wire. When you'd touch the wire, an LED would light. Then it took 30 seconds for the circuit to reset. I remember he said it was called a [logic] gate.

Present day, I have some stepkids that ring the doorbell like it's a fricken carnival ride - every morning. Even though I tell them to only ring it once, they are narcissistic and do not care about my piddly request.

I would like to build a logic gate and a timer that only allows the doorbell to ring once every 30 seconds. Here's my caveat. The voltage for the doorbell registers 13.4 VAC when you hold the button down. Can I still use the same kind of circuit (supplied voltage different of course) with a 555 to accomplish my goal?

Thanks,

Engineering news on Phys.org
I can't think of a way to do this without a dozen parts.

Putting a positive temperature coefficient (PTC) thermistor in series with the door bell switch might be a partial solution. With the right value part, the longer and more frequently the bell is rung the weaker the noise.

The thermistor heats up as current passes through it. This causes the resistance of the thermistor to increase. This reduces the current to the door bell. They are used to protect motors from stall, such as the power window motor in a car.

Last edited:
Freddythunder said:
I would like to build a logic gate and a timer that only allows the doorbell to ring once every 30 seconds. Here's my caveat. The voltage for the doorbell registers 13.4 VAC when you hold the button down. Can I still use the same kind of circuit (supplied voltage different of course) with a 555 to accomplish my goal?
yes that is very easy
The output from the op-amp and timer cct would drive a relay that would switch the AC voltage to the bell
do you still have the original cct from your dad ? I or some one else may be able to modify it

if not, could come up with a replacement :)

Dave

Oh yeah, I could use a relay becuase that's just a coil of wire just like the doorbell. Which makes me wonder, maybe I can supply DC power for the circuit and the doorbell and then just use the AC input to a relay to hit pin 2 on the 555. I do not have any idea how to set that up and my dad's instructions are long gone. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Basically, that relay could send triggers constantly, but I just want the output to be one on-off and then ignore all other triggers for 30 seconds or so. Would that be a one-shot timer? I thought of that as I was typing this...

Thanks!

thankz said:
I'm thinking this can be done with a some nand gates and hex inverters, a cap for the rc time constant, thanks to the guy who told me I was weakish at circuits because I can't picture the circuit off the top of my head...

Not quite what we are looking for

Hi Freddythunder

sorry for taking a couple of days, I'm just out of hospital and also battling a dose of the flu

here's a circuit that should do what you are after
doorbell control.JPG

you can derive the 5V rail from the 13VAC using a bridge rectifier a 1000uF electrolytic cap and a 7805, 5V reg
( or a little higher a 7808 - 8V or a 7810 - 10V would be OK)

breadboard it first and see how you go and report back

cheers
Dave

davenn said:
Not quite what we are looking for

Hi Freddythunder

sorry for taking a couple of days, I'm just out of hospital and also battling a dose of the flu

here's a circuit that should do what you are after
View attachment 84018

you can derive the 5V rail from the 13VAC using a bridge rectifier a 1000uF electrolytic cap and a 7805, 5V reg
( or a little higher a 7808 - 8V or a 7810 - 10V would be OK)

breadboard it first and see how you go and report back
cheers
Dave
Maybe you could simply power the bell from a large capacitor, which is itself charged via a resistor giving a 30 second delay.

Related to Can I make a gate that will work with AC voltage?

1. Can I make a gate that will work with AC voltage?

Yes, it is possible to design and build a gate that will work with AC voltage. In fact, most electronic devices and circuits are designed to work with AC voltage.

2. How does a gate work with AC voltage?

A gate works with AC voltage by using electronic components such as transistors and diodes to control the flow of electricity. The AC voltage is converted into a digital signal that can be interpreted by the gate to perform logical operations.

3. What are the advantages of using a gate with AC voltage?

Using a gate with AC voltage allows for more complex and versatile electronic circuits to be built. AC voltage also allows for the transmission of electricity over long distances, making it ideal for powering electronic devices.

4. Are there any limitations to using a gate with AC voltage?

One limitation of using a gate with AC voltage is that the voltage levels can vary, which can affect the performance of the gate. Additionally, AC voltage can cause interference in electronic circuits, so proper shielding and filtering may be necessary.

5. Are there any safety concerns when working with a gate and AC voltage?

Working with AC voltage can be dangerous, so it is important to take proper safety precautions. This includes using insulated tools, wearing protective gear, and ensuring that the power is turned off before working on the circuit. It is also important to have a good understanding of electrical principles and to follow proper wiring and circuit design practices.