How can we see the ISS at 200 miles away with the naked eye?

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter TruthSeeker777
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eye Iss
In summary: ISS reflects light from the sun, like the moon.In summary, the International Space Station (ISS) can be seen from Earth due to its high contrast against the background, not because of its angular resolution. Its solar panels reflect direct, unfiltered starlight, making it appear brighter than any aircraft in the sky. Distant stars are also visible to astronauts in space, proving that the angular resolution of the eye does not limit visibility. Additionally, the ISS is visible as a dot, not its full shape, due to the size and distance of the object.
TruthSeeker777 said:
Where is the evidence the sun is a star?
Huge neutrino flux. Hence, fusion is occurring.
You did ask "where" and not "what". So you want a GPS coordinate or something?
But feel happy to travel to the sun (if it exists) and measure with your own senses :sun:

Astronomy news on Phys.org
TruthSeeker777 said:
Where is the evidence the sun is a star?
The straight up answer is that this is a physics forum that encourages and supports established mainstream science. If you are looking to challenge mainstream science, you are free to do so - but this is not the place.

DaveC426913 said:
The straight up answer is that this is a physics forum that encourages and supports established mainstream science. If you are looking to challenge mainstream science, you are free to do so - but this is not the place.
There are a lot of assumptions in the answers which we can't verify empirically.. Why do we assume the sun is a star? Why do we assume the stars at at an infinite distance? Can we verify this?

TruthSeeker777 said:
Why do we assume the stars at at an infinite distance?
We don't.

Likes Vanadium 50
TruthSeeker777 said:
There are a lot of assumptions in the answers which we can't verify empirically.. Why do we assume the sun is a star?
We do not assume these things. They are part of an established astrophysical model, that has been built up over centuries, and they work extremely well.

You should read the forum rules before proceeding along this line, because it's pretty explicit about "established mainstream science".

TruthSeeker777 said:
Why do we assume the stars at at an infinite distance? Can we verify this?
Not that they "are" - but that they can be "treated as such" for the purpose of the geometry.

A nearly unlimited list of stars and galaxies and other objects are candidates for reference because they all have effectively zero relative movement. Every star we add to a collective reference frame further cements the justification for treating it as too far way to affect the parallax measurement of a nearby star.

Imagine I hold up my thumb and try to measure the parallax of my two eyes against some distant mountain peaks. The mountains are not at infinity, but their actual distance is immaterial to my parallax measurement.

And, if I measure hundred peaks, or a hundred thousand, I see that they all have zero relative movement between them, then I can indeed, treat the collection of mountain peaks as if it is at infinity for the purpose of the parallax geometry (which is simply the same as saying the lines of sight (from mountain collective to each eye) are parallel to within acceptable tolerance for my measurement of the parallax).And that may be an easier easy of seeing it. The lines of sight (from very distant stars to Earth's winter and summer positions) are parallel to within a very small margin of error. Againt these parallel lines of sight, we can accurately determine with simple geometry how far away nearby stars are.

Last edited:
Likes malawi_glenn
TruthSeeker777 said:
There are a lot of assumptions in the answers which we can't verify empirically.. Why do we assume the sun is a star? Why do we assume the stars at at an infinite distance? Can we verify this?
- We define the sun to be a star due to the observational knowledge we have about it. The Sun defines what it means for something be star, it is the role model if you will.
We do not assume that the sun is a star, thousands of people smarter than you and me have studied the sun in thousands of ways over a couple of centuries.

- Did you look at the gif-video showing that night star over the course of 3 years (or whatever the time frame was)?
Background stars are not assumed to be infinite far away, they do have parallalax movement on the sky. BUT that motion is so tiny that we can not detectet it, thus for calculational purposes we can treat their distance from us as "infinite". They can not be literary infinite away from us, you know that, otherwise we would not see their light.

We can not "see" atoms, or semicondutors etc and so on with our eyes. Still you use them to write here on this forum. And you trust that the scientists and engineers know how those things work and can "tame" them to make your precious little computer or smart phone. Why do you trust them?

Physics is an observational and experimental driven field of natural science where mathmatical models are used to organize, structure, generelize our findings. Using these models, we can make predictions for what we would measure and observe in something we have not tried yet. Thus, a physical model is falsifiable. Sometimes we measure something exactly as it was predicted (within experiemental margin of error), sometimes we measure something which was not exactly as it was predicted, but still not too far away to make the model disposable. And sometimes, we measure things that was not predicted, and thus model is discarded.

Physics is not about The TruthTM, it is about finding structure in what we see and measure using mathematical models. If you seek the truth, physics is not for you.
1658956062179.png

Last edited:
Likes Baluncore and russ_watters
I just find anything in common between the stars and the sun. What is the core of the assumption that the sun is a star? Is there a paper for this?

TruthSeeker777 said:
I just find anything in common between the stars and the sun. What is the core of the assumption that the sun is a star? Is there a paper for this?
There is no assumption in that the sun is star... read my post above.

Are you perhaps meaning those other luminous objects that we observe in the night-sky, why we know that those objects have very similar properties as the sun? I.e. gigantic spheroids of plasma held together by gravity in which fusion takes place in their core?

TruthSeeker777 said:
Please: new topic; new thread.

That is the PF way.

Likes malawi_glenn
TruthSeeker777 said:

The stars are in fact holes in the celestial sphere and the sun is of course different, being a god driven in a golden chariot.
This is not entertaining.

• Love
Likes Vanadium 50, DaveC426913, malawi_glenn and 1 other person
hutchphd said:
The stars are in fact holes in the celestial sphere and the sun is of course different, being a god driven in a golden chariot.
This is not entertaining.
TruthSeeker777 said:
It seems you believe that much about our current understanding of the universe is wrong, but at the same time you know practically nothing about our current understanding of the universe. These two issues are clearly related. We can help with the second, but only if you drop the first and make an honest effort at learning. But we won't entertain the posture you've taken. No, this schtick is not entertaining. Thread locked.

Likes malawi_glenn, weirdoguy, Motore and 4 others