How can I prove that f(x) is greater than 0 for x≥0?

In summary: In other words, take the derivative of each sub-integral and see if the resulting derivative is positive. If so, the sum is positive and you can stop.
monsmatglad

Homework Statement

Hi. I need help understanding a task where i am supposed to prove that a function must be greater than 0 when x is from 0 and up. f(x) = (x-0)integral of (sinx/(x+1)) please help me out with this.

Mons

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is the method with which I imagined doing this. Find when sin(x)/(x+1) changes sign. Break the integral from 0 to x into many sub-integrals, from 0 to first sign change, from first sign change to second sign change, etc. See if you can combine some integrals together to get an equivalent sum of all positive numbers. Ergo, the final integral is positive.

EDIT: I corrected the part in bold above, upon rereading this.

Last edited:
Tedjn said:
Here is the method with which I imagined doing this. Find when sin(x)/(x+1) changes sign. Break the integral from 0 to x into many sub-integrals, from 0 to first sign change, from first sign change to second sign change, etc. See if you can combine some integrals together to get an equivalent sum of all positive numbers. Ergo, the final integral is positive.

EDIT: I corrected the part in bold above, upon rereading this.

sorry, but i don't seem to understand.:/ what do you mean with breaking the integral into sub-integrals. could you please give me an example.

Mons

Repeatedly apply, if a < c < b,

[tex]\int_a^b f(x)dx = \int_a^c f(x)dx + \int_c^b f(x)dx[/tex]​

I am sorry if I am too vague, but it is a fine line between helping and solving. Apply this equation to what I said above, at the points I said above, and see if inspiration strikes. After expanding, you can try combining integrals together again, but in a different way than the way you broke them up. Note that you can carefully change the bounds on an integral as long as you make the appropriate compensations inside the body of the integral.

Tedjn said:
Repeatedly apply, if a < c < b,

[tex]\int_a^b f(x)dx = \int_a^c f(x)dx + \int_c^b f(x)dx[/tex]​

I am sorry if I am too vague, but it is a fine line between helping and solving. Apply this equation to what I said above, at the points I said above, and see if inspiration strikes. After expanding, you can try combining integrals together again, but in a different way than the way you broke them up. Note that you can carefully change the bounds on an integral as long as you make the appropriate compensations inside the body of the integral.

I've been looking at the function and at the x-values for maximum and minimum, but i don't see how to get any information about the function(the integral) except for its derivative. if i split up in sub-intervals i don't understand find anything about the integral since it can't be analytically solved and therefor can't produce any integral values.

Mons
Sorry for bad English.

As in most inequalities, you don't need to find an exact solution, only find a way to convincingly show a sum is positive. There may be many ways to do this, but you can try to combine the sub-integrals.

Related to How can I prove that f(x) is greater than 0 for x≥0?

1. What is the Sine Integral function and how is it related to the sine function?

The Sine Integral function, denoted as Si(x), is a special function that is closely related to the sine function. It is defined as the integral of sin(t)/t from 0 to x. In other words, it represents the area under the curve of the sine function from 0 to x. It is used in various mathematical and scientific applications, including in the study of oscillations and electrical circuits.

2. How is the Sine Integral function calculated?

The Sine Integral function can be calculated using numerical methods or by using special mathematical algorithms. It does not have a closed-form solution, meaning it cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions. Therefore, it is often approximated using numerical methods or tabulated values.

3. What is the domain and range of the Sine Integral function?

The domain of the Sine Integral function is all real numbers, while the range is from -π/2 to π/2. This means that the output of the function will always be between these two values, regardless of the input. The graph of the Sine Integral function resembles a "sine wave" with peaks and valleys within this range.

4. How is the Sine Integral function used in real-world applications?

The Sine Integral function has many practical applications in various fields of science and engineering. It is used in signal processing, specifically in the study of oscillations and waveforms. It is also used in the analysis of electrical circuits and in calculating the error function in statistics. In physics, it is used in the study of quantum mechanics and in calculating the electric potential of a point charge.

5. Are there any other similar functions to the Sine Integral function?

Yes, there are other similar functions to the Sine Integral function, such as the Cosine Integral function (Ci(x)) and the Exponential Integral function (Ei(x)). These functions are also defined as integrals of certain mathematical expressions and are used in similar applications. However, they have different properties and behave differently than the Sine Integral function.