How are even and odd functions defined in n-dimensions?

In summary: So, it is possible to have a function that is odd with respect to one variable, but not the others. This means that the function is odd across a plane in the n-dimensional space.In summary, even and odd functions in n-dimensions are defined in terms of their behavior under parity transformations. While a function can be odd with respect to one variable, it may not be odd with respect to others, resulting in the function being odd across a plane in n-dimensional space.
PeteyCoco

In my homework, we had to integrate f(x,y,z)= (x^2)z + (y^2)z + z^3 over a sphere centered at the origin. My answer came out to be 0 and I made the guess that it might be because f(x,y,z) was an odd function. Now, I don't know if this is true. Does this assumption hold:

f(x) is odd if f(-x) = -f(x)
f(x,y,z) is odd if f(-x,-y,-z) = -f(x,y,z) ?

I'm thinking this might just mean it's odd across a plane.I just handed in my assignment and will have to wait 2 weeks before I know if what I did was right or wrong, so I'm asking here to speed things up!

Physics news on Phys.org
PeteyCoco said:

In my homework, we had to integrate f(x,y,z)= (x^2)z + (y^2)z + z^3 over a sphere centered at the origin. My answer came out to be 0 and I made the guess that it might be because f(x,y,z) was an odd function. Now, I don't know if this is true. Does this assumption hold:

f(x) is odd if f(-x) = -f(x)

I'm thinking this might just mean it's odd across a plane.I just handed in my assignment and will have to wait 2 weeks before I know if what I did was right or wrong, so I'm asking here to speed things up!
I'm not sure about whether we refer to functions of more than one variable as even or odd in an overall sense, although I doubt that we do.

However, it's common to refer to a function of more than one variable as being even or odd with respect to an individual variable.

Factor z out of your function: f(x, y, z) = z(x2 + y2 + z2) .

PeteyCoco said:
The parity transformation takes (x,y,z) to (-x,-y,-z). It's common to say f has even or odd parity if f(-x,-y,-z) is equal to, respectively, f(x,y,z) or -f(x,y,z). But as SammyS noted, when you have more than one variable, it's ambiguous if all you say is "f is odd." You should specify under what type of transformation is the function odd.

Last edited:
Since the region of integration is symmetric in all three coordinates, the integral will be zero if the function is odd wrt any of the three.

Related to How are even and odd functions defined in n-dimensions?

1. What is the definition of an even function in n-dimensions?

An even function in n-dimensions is a mathematical function where the input and output variables consist of n independent variables, and the function output remains the same when the input variables are replaced with their negative values.

2. How is an even function represented mathematically in n-dimensions?

An even function in n-dimensions can be represented as f(x1, x2, ..., xn) = f(-x1, -x2, ..., -xn), where x1, x2, ..., xn are the independent variables and f is the function.

3. What is the definition of an odd function in n-dimensions?

An odd function in n-dimensions is a mathematical function where the input and output variables consist of n independent variables, and the function output changes sign when the input variables are replaced with their negative values.

4. How is an odd function represented mathematically in n-dimensions?

An odd function in n-dimensions can be represented as f(x1, x2, ..., xn) = -f(-x1, -x2, ..., -xn), where x1, x2, ..., xn are the independent variables and f is the function.

5. Can a function be both even and odd in n-dimensions?

No, a function cannot be both even and odd in n-dimensions. This is because the definition of an even function requires the output to remain the same when the input is replaced with its negative value, while an odd function requires the output to change sign when the input is replaced with its negative value. These two conditions cannot be satisfied simultaneously.