Homework problem dealing with frictional forces when a box is inside of a truck

In summary, we are given a problem where a 30.0 kg packing case is at rest on the floor of a 1500 kg pickup truck. The coefficients of static and kinetic friction between the case and the truck floor are 0.30 and 0.20 respectively. We are asked to find the magnitude and direction of the friction force acting on the case when the truck accelerates at 2.01 m/s2 northward and when it accelerates at 3.59 m/s2 southward. To solve this problem, we can use the equation Ff = u(Fn) and set up a free body diagram with the normal force, gravity, friction, acceleration, and speed of the truck. It is
Confusingmeh

Homework Statement

A 30.0 kg packing case is initially at rest on the floor of a 1500 kg pickup truck. The coefficient of static friction between the case and the truck floor is 0.30 and the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.20. Before each acceleration given below, the truck is traveling due north at constant speed.
(a) Find the magnitude and direction of the friction force acting on the case when the truck accelerates at 2.01 m/s2 northward.
(b) Find the magnitude and direction of the friction force acting on the case when the truck accelerates at 3.59 m/s2 southward.

Homework Equations

Ff=u(Fn)

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so when I first saw this problem I assumed that the only difference between the two frictional forces would be the direction. So I got that part of the question (a is northward, b is southward), and on part a I figured that it was the static friction that was pertinent so i did that to find the friction force and was wrong, so I tried using the kinetic friction and was still wrong. So I moved on to part b and was correct when i used the kinetic friction to find the friction force. *note we enter our answers online so although it told me that my magnitude in part b was right it may not have been the right way to do it.

Physics news on Phys.org
First you would need to figure out how much force the packing case is exerting on the truck by using the formula F=mg, then set it up as a typical free body diagram with the normal force going up, gravity down, and static/kinetic friction on one side and the acceleration and speed of the truck on the other side.

I hope this helps

Related to Homework problem dealing with frictional forces when a box is inside of a truck

1. What is frictional force?

Frictional force is the force that resists the motion of an object when it is in contact with another surface. It is caused by the microscopic roughness of surfaces and is dependent on the type of materials in contact and the force pressing them together.

2. How does frictional force affect a box inside a truck?

When a box is inside a truck, frictional force comes into play when the box is in contact with the truck's surface. This force can either help keep the box in place or cause it to slide around, depending on the direction of the force and the weight of the box.

3. How do you calculate the frictional force on a box inside a truck?

The frictional force on a box inside a truck can be calculated using the formula F = μN, where F is the frictional force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force exerted by the truck on the box. The coefficient of friction is a constant that depends on the type of materials in contact.

4. Can frictional force be reduced to prevent a box from sliding inside a truck?

Yes, there are a few ways to reduce frictional force and prevent a box from sliding inside a truck. One way is to use materials with lower coefficients of friction, such as placing a rubber mat or using non-slip pads on the truck's surface. Another way is to decrease the weight of the box, as the force of friction is directly proportional to the weight of the object.

5. How can you increase frictional force to keep a box in place inside a truck?

To increase frictional force and keep a box in place inside a truck, you can increase the weight of the box or use materials with higher coefficients of friction. Additionally, you can increase the surface area of contact between the box and the truck by using a larger or rougher surface. This will increase the normal force and thus increase the frictional force.