HMI -> Microcontroller? -> PCB I/O

In summary, these RF modules can be used to send digital I/O wirelessly to a microcontroller. They are available in a variety of price points and sizes, and can be used for a variety of applications.
Bikkehaug
Hello

I want to make a HMI that monitors i/o through a microcontroller/fpga/something.

The problem I've come across is to figure out what's going to interpret/read i/o at the end of this system. For what it's worth, it's going to read i/o from "props" used in so called Escape Rooms - so they need to be fairly small and support wireless communication (bluetooth, xbee, Zigbee or something).

Essentially, these cards in my sketch, all they need to do is send i/o information wirelessly to the microcontroller.

For instance, I have a prop where a button has to be pressed in order for it to be solved. My goal is to send a signal to the microcontroller that the correct button has been pressed, and then display this on the HMI (windows forms application will be used for this).

Any ideas for what to use as a "card"? Keeping in mind price, size and wireless strength.

Thanks.
Skisse1.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
There are a few low cost RF / Blutooth modules that actually run their own uC - and have a few GPIO on them - so you will need to define clearly how many Digital I/O per "card" is needed.
"Keeping in mind price, size and wireless strength." - we have no idea what your perspective on any of these parameters are: $20, 4" Square and 100Meters - line of sight - through walls - etc..

The exact number of I/O has not been decided yet.

For price I was thinking 10-15$.
Size equals or less than 1,5" square.
At least 40Meters through walls.

40M at that price and size I think will be tough. == http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Adafruit/2471/?qs=GURawfaeGuAoxPWz4nSJYg%3D%3D&gclid=Cj0KEQiA5dK0BRCr49qDzILe74UBEiQA_6gA-laMx8Gr5s6pgN6moE9T7yBHKIzO8luleugH8S0At-QaAuLZ8P8HAQ looks interesting - the small antenna and power on the small board will be the trick. (Even a WIFI router can have trouble at 40M with walls)

Last edited by a moderator:
If I set the price to 30-40$ per unit, would you recommend Xbee, Or something else?

These look interesting
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11395

https://electricimp.com/docs/attachments/hardware/product%20briefs/Electric%20Imp%20-%20imp002%20-%20Product%20Brief%20-%2022Jun2015.pdf

Or this P-Zero ( photon) - use a cloud service ( included) and a phone as HMI...

These:
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/RF200P81/746-1022-ND/2804294
work well. They are a bit higher priced than you are looking for but you program them in python and they can autonomously react to IO and talk to each other. They connect to a PC through a USB dongle. If you roll your own interface into the PC module (they have stdio like functionality) you can have unlimited devices for no extra cost. If you use the python module for the PC you will have to buy a $100 license if you go above 10 units. This is also available for Linux and can be deployed on ARM boards. They also mesh but you have to be careful about which ones build the mesh if you go above about 50 units.

They also have a very low power sleep mode if you need to put them on batteries.

BoB

Related to HMI -> Microcontroller? -> PCB I/O

1. What is HMI and how does it communicate with a microcontroller?

HMI stands for Human Machine Interface, which is a user interface that allows people to interact with a machine or device. It typically includes buttons, touch screens, and displays. HMI communicates with a microcontroller through a communication protocol such as UART, SPI, or I2C. The microcontroller receives inputs from the HMI and performs the necessary actions based on the program written in its memory.

2. How does a microcontroller interact with a PCB?

A microcontroller interacts with a PCB through input/output (I/O) pins. These pins are used to connect the microcontroller to various components on the PCB such as sensors, actuators, and communication modules. The microcontroller can send and receive signals through these pins, allowing it to control and monitor the components on the PCB.

3. What is the role of a PCB in the HMI -> Microcontroller system?

PCB stands for Printed Circuit Board, which is a physical board that holds and connects electronic components. In the HMI -> Microcontroller system, the PCB acts as an interface between the microcontroller and the external components. It provides a platform for the microcontroller to connect and communicate with other devices and components, making it an essential part of the system.

4. How do you design an efficient HMI -> Microcontroller -> PCB system?

To design an efficient HMI -> Microcontroller -> PCB system, it is essential to have a clear understanding of the requirements and specifications of the system. This includes the functionality of the HMI, the type of microcontroller needed, and the components that will be connected to the PCB. It is also crucial to consider factors such as power consumption, communication protocols, and physical layout to ensure optimal performance and reliability of the system.

5. What are some common challenges in implementing an HMI -> Microcontroller -> PCB system?

Some common challenges in implementing an HMI -> Microcontroller -> PCB system include compatibility issues between the HMI and microcontroller, communication errors, and power supply problems. It is also essential to consider factors such as noise and interference that may affect the performance of the system. Proper testing and troubleshooting are crucial to identify and address these challenges for a successful implementation.