Which is the Best Choice for a Wireless Fencing Unit: Bluetooth or USB?

In summary, the two options are to have each fencer have their own microcontroller that can transmit wirelessly or to have a main microcontroller that can transmit wirelessly to a smartphone. The best option is to use a bluetooth module.
duffusd
Hey everyone. I'm new on physics forums, and I have a project that I would appreciate some help...

This project is to make a wireless fencing unit (olympic fencing, not like farming...) that can connect via usb or bluetooth into a smartphone to simplify the tools for local referees. So, I have two choices:

first - each fencer has their own microcontroller or something that can transmit bluetooth, this will connect via bluetooth to the smartphone.
second - each fencer has their own microcontroller that can transmit wirelessly to a main microcontroller that has a usb interface compatible with android.

for those that don't know about electric fencing - simply put there are three wires, all this has to do is be able to read from two of them. one of the wires is the supplied power.

I am looking for the best bang for my buck. With minimal processing requirements, I don't need an expensive FPGA with a lot of memory for the microcontroller attached to the fencer.

Thank you for your time everyone!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Take a look at ZigBee wireless modules. SparkFun has a good selection, along with links to relevant information and tutorials.

Thank you, I've been looking at sparkfun, and the closest thing I can find is this http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10393 bluetooth mate silver, but I can't tell if this will be able to send the signals that I need.

Poke around on: http://hackaday.com/

They frequently have articles about folks interfacing phones and uC using bluetooth.

duffusd said:
first - each fencer has their own microcontroller or something that can transmit bluetooth, this will connect via bluetooth to the smartphone.
second - each fencer has their own microcontroller that can transmit wirelessly to a main microcontroller that has a usb interface compatible with android. ...

If you're firm on using an Android as the referee's handheld, then you're locked into building a compatible "app" -- do you know if the Android platform even supports this type of data transfer?

Related to Which is the Best Choice for a Wireless Fencing Unit: Bluetooth or USB?

1. What is a wireless microcontroller?

A wireless microcontroller is a small electronic device that combines a microcontroller and wireless communication capabilities, allowing it to send and receive data wirelessly. It is often used in IoT (Internet of Things) devices and other applications where wireless connectivity is needed.

2. How does a wireless microcontroller work?

A wireless microcontroller works by using a microcontroller chip, which contains a processor, memory, and input/output peripherals, to control the functions of the device. It also has wireless communication modules, such as Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, or ZigBee, which enable it to send and receive data wirelessly.

3. What are the advantages of using a wireless microcontroller?

One of the main advantages of using a wireless microcontroller is its ability to connect to other devices and networks without the need for physical wired connections. This makes it ideal for use in remote or hard-to-reach locations. Additionally, wireless microcontrollers are often low-power and cost-effective, making them suitable for a wide range of applications.

4. What are some common uses of wireless microcontrollers?

Wireless microcontrollers have a variety of uses, including in home automation systems, smart appliances, industrial automation, medical devices, and more. They are also commonly used in remote sensing and monitoring applications, such as environmental monitoring and smart agriculture.

5. How do I choose the right wireless microcontroller for my project?

The right wireless microcontroller for your project will depend on your specific application and requirements. Some factors to consider include the communication protocol needed, power consumption, processing speed, and available memory. It is important to research and compare different options to find the best fit for your project.