Highschool senior seeking college advice

In summary, my family isn't made of money, so I'm looking for a school that is affordable and has a good physics program. I'm considering UNC Chapel Hill, but I'm also considering less competetive/more affordable schools that have strong physics programs. I'm also looking for schools with undergraduate research opportunities.
Klarinettus
This year, I am entering my senior year in high school. I plan on majoring in physics, but I'm having some trouble deciding where to apply. Obviously, I'm not going to decide where I go to college based solely on advice given in an online forum, but I'd appreciate a couple nudges in the right direction. :smile:

A little background infortmation-
My family isn't made of money, so wherever I go to school must be affordable. I'm not a fantastic student, but I'm not a terrible student. I've made some As but also a lot of Bs. My SAT and SAT2 scores are very high and I got fives on all of my APs.

I'd like to know what kinds of schools I should apply to. Is it true that where you get your undergraduate degree in physics is far less important than where you go to grad school? If this is the case, I'm considering the University of North Carolina, because the affordability of in-state tuition would be a huge plus. I'm taking multivariate calculus and mechanics through UNC this semester, so I'll find out a bit about the program that way.

Are there any slightly less competetive/more affordable schools that have very strong physics programs out there? What about schools with undergraduate research opportunities?

I feel so lost right now. There are so many schools out there and I'm having trouble finding the information I need.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
i personally would recommend UNC chapel hill. it really does appear that your choice of undergraduate school is far less significant than your choice of graduate school.

also, ivies like harvard are making extra effort to include students with families that have a combined income of less than a certain amount. you might want to look into that, too.

keep in mind though that almost every grad school in the US doesn't require you to pay tuition.

Klarinettus said:
My family isn't made of money, so wherever I go to school must be affordable.

Well, you may already be aware of this, but most private schools provide "need based" financial aid. I have heard of quite a few cases where it would cost the same family more money to go to a state school (in-state) than a private school that costs twice as much.

I agree - UNC - Chapel Hill is a great school...and if you're looking for a Ph.D. eventually, your undergrad degree only serves to get you into a good grad school. Chapel Hill would be a great place for either degree, depending, of course, on what you eventually want to focus in in grad school. And you have to be willing to let that change, too! Basically you want a school large enough to expose you to many different fields, but don't forget to have fun! It's College!

Related to Highschool senior seeking college advice

What factors should I consider when choosing a college?

When choosing a college, it's important to consider factors such as location, size, academic programs, campus culture, cost, and career opportunities. Think about what is most important to you and what will help you achieve your goals.

How can I find scholarships and financial aid for college?

There are many resources available for finding scholarships and financial aid for college. You can start by researching scholarships offered by the colleges you are interested in, as well as external organizations and companies. Fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to determine your eligibility for federal financial aid. You can also look into grants, work-study programs, and student loans.

What are the benefits of attending a community college before transferring to a university?

Attending a community college before transferring to a university can have many benefits. It is often more affordable, allows for a smoother transition to college-level coursework, and can provide opportunities for gaining hands-on experience and building strong academic foundations. Additionally, community colleges often have smaller class sizes and more personalized attention from professors.

How can I make the most out of my college experience?

To make the most out of your college experience, it's important to get involved in extracurricular activities, join clubs and organizations, and network with professors and peers. Take advantage of opportunities for internships, study abroad programs, and research projects. Also, make sure to prioritize your mental and physical health and find a healthy balance between academics and social life.

What are some resources available to help me succeed in college?

There are many resources available to help students succeed in college. Most colleges have academic advising services, tutoring centers, and writing centers that can provide support and assistance. You can also reach out to professors during their office hours, join study groups with classmates, and attend review sessions. Additionally, make use of online resources such as peer-reviewed journals, online databases, and educational websites.