HHMI Research Scholars Opportunity

• Thread starter plife
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Research
In summary, the author decided to take the research job offered by the Howard Hughes Medical Institute. This offer will delay their graduation, but the opportunity is really unique and they are excited about it. They are conflicted because they have set up a schedule for taking classes and taking units in order to graduate in a timely manner, but they also want to explore this new opportunity. They are unsure if they should focus on their studies or take the opportunity.
plife
Hello, everyone.

I am an undergrad physics major - returned to school after many years, in case you had forgotten *_*

It is almost Fall and time to start a new semester. I was all set to take a pretty full load of Chemistry, Computational Physics, Physics, Math, and Philosophy classes starting next week. Then, I received a letter from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute offering me an opportunity to get paid to work in research at my university - 10 hours a week during the semesters and full-time during the summer - for 2 years culminating in a published paper and/or conference presentation. I have been talking to faculty about different projects and different lab environments all over school, including electrochemistry, biophysics, neutron/x-ray diffraction, biology, accelerator technology, laser stuff...all sorts of exciting projects are available!

My problem is that I had set up a schedule of taking lots of units each semester and taking classes in the summer in order to graduate in a timely manner. Taking this research opportunity will definitely delay that - or my worst fear - cause a serious ding to my current 4.0 GPA (either of which would make me quite sad, but probably not kill me).

Anyway, now I am very conflicted. The projects are so exciting, and the opportunity is really unique since I am only in my first year of physics classes. I have a lot of years' working in labs in the semi-conductor industry, but a basic research lab would be a whole new exciting adventure that I really want to pursue.

What would your advice be? Focus on my studies - or - grab the brass ring and go for the research job?? Also, since I am a Physics major should I just stick with physics research, or can I branch out without hurting my physics portfolio?

I just cannot decide - I actually change my mind about 10 times a day and I have to make a decision by mid-September.

Thanks again for your kind and thoughtful responses. I really do appreciate reading your thoughts.

Plife

Physics news on Phys.org
Do the projects. Actual experience is invaluable, classes can be deferred.

Yes, that is exactly what I keep telling myself...

plife said:
Hello, everyone.

I am an undergrad physics major - returned to school after many years, in case you had forgotten *_*

It is almost Fall and time to start a new semester. I was all set to take a pretty full load of Chemistry, Computational Physics, Physics, Math, and Philosophy classes starting next week. Then, I received a letter from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute offering me an opportunity to get paid to work in research at my university - 10 hours a week during the semesters and full-time during the summer - for 2 years culminating in a published paper and/or conference presentation. I have been talking to faculty about different projects and different lab environments all over school, including electrochemistry, biophysics, neutron/x-ray diffraction, biology, accelerator technology, laser stuff...all sorts of exciting projects are available!

My problem is that I had set up a schedule of taking lots of units each semester and taking classes in the summer in order to graduate in a timely manner. Taking this research opportunity will definitely delay that - or my worst fear - cause a serious ding to my current 4.0 GPA (either of which would make me quite sad, but probably not kill me).

Anyway, now I am very conflicted. The projects are so exciting, and the opportunity is really unique since I am only in my first year of physics classes. I have a lot of years' working in labs in the semi-conductor industry, but a basic research lab would be a whole new exciting adventure that I really want to pursue.

What would your advice be? Focus on my studies - or - grab the brass ring and go for the research job?? Also, since I am a Physics major should I just stick with physics research, or can I branch out without hurting my physics portfolio?

I just cannot decide - I actually change my mind about 10 times a day and I have to make a decision by mid-September.

Thanks again for your kind and thoughtful responses. I really do appreciate reading your thoughts.

Plife

Take the offer. This is a no brainer. Go for it!

Thank you, Carlgrace. I really respect your opinion, so I guess I am off and running! This should be exciting!

Related to HHMI Research Scholars Opportunity

1. What is HHMI Research Scholars Opportunity?

HHMI Research Scholars Opportunity is a program offered by the Howard Hughes Medical Institute to support undergraduate students who are interested in pursuing a career in science. It provides funding and mentorship for students to conduct research in a laboratory setting.

2. Who is eligible for the HHMI Research Scholars Opportunity?

Undergraduate students who are currently enrolled in a U.S. college or university and have completed at least one year of undergraduate study are eligible to apply for the HHMI Research Scholars Opportunity. The program is open to students from all majors, but applicants must have a strong interest in pursuing a career in science.

3. How long is the HHMI Research Scholars Opportunity?

The HHMI Research Scholars Opportunity is a year-long program, typically spanning from the summer to the following spring. However, the exact duration may vary depending on the specific research project and the availability of the student and their mentor.

4. What are the benefits of participating in the HHMI Research Scholars Opportunity?

Participating in the HHMI Research Scholars Opportunity provides students with hands-on research experience, as well as mentorship from experienced scientists. It also offers a stipend to cover living expenses and may provide opportunities for students to present their research at conferences or publish their findings.

5. How can I apply for the HHMI Research Scholars Opportunity?

To apply for the HHMI Research Scholars Opportunity, students must first identify a mentor at their institution who is willing to supervise their research project. They can then submit an application, which typically includes a research proposal, academic transcripts, and letters of recommendation. The application process may vary depending on the specific institution and their partnership with HHMI.