Heroine's Final Fight - Is Penetrating Chest-bone Physically Possible?

• Thread starter DHF
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Final
In summary, the Heroine is capable of inflicting serious damage on the Villain with her fists, but it is very unlikely that she will be able to break through his chest bone and kill him.
DHF
Hello everyone,

The following is continued research on a book my wife and I are writing. In said book our Heroine has enhanced speed and strength but during the final act of the book she is constrained to the limits of human strength. We have decided that she would be capable of the limits of what is humanly possible but not beyond. This leads to our final fight scene where she is fighting the arch villain. My wife would very much like for the Heroine to deliver the final blow by penetrating the Villain's Chest-bone but I have no idea if this is physically possible.

Can this happen?

Physics news on Phys.org
By "chest bone" do you mean the sternum? Or do you mean break through the ribs?
Penetrate using what? With a sword, or other sharp weapon, definitely. With a blunt object, perhaps. With her fists...very unlikely. You might be able to break a rib or two with a strong punch, but there's no way you're tearing through all that pectoral muscle and through the rib cage to make a hole in a person's chest with your fist.

The only way you might be able to get enough pressure is perhaps by extending your fingers to make the area of contact much much smaller. In such a case, I would expect your fingers to break long before you break through the other person's chest.

yes she would be using her fist. and thank you for confirmation that it wouldn't work. we can now start to re write the scene to either change what she does or invent a mechanism to make it possible.

I appreciate the information.

When people get CPR it's pretty common for the breastbone to break, sometimes a few ribs too. When I had my heart attack a few years ago, it was the cartiledge in the middle of my breast bone. I think. Small price to pay for getting blood to circulate through your brain.

What tends to break during CPR (other than the occasional rib) is the small triangular end bone of the sternum, in Swedish known as the "dagger bone". If it dislodges it can cause extensive damage to all the surrounding tissue. This small bone could also be broken off durin your final fight, but this would lead to a prolonged death- perhaps not what you are looking for...

You are talking about the xiphoid process. Sure, you can kill someone by hitting this..

Related to Heroine's Final Fight - Is Penetrating Chest-bone Physically Possible?

1. Is it possible for someone to physically penetrate another person's chest bone?

No, it is not physically possible for someone to penetrate another person's chest bone. The chest bone, also known as the sternum, is a thick, sturdy bone that protects the vital organs in the chest. It would require an extreme amount of force and a sharp object to penetrate the chest bone, which is not possible in a real-life scenario.

2. Can a person survive being stabbed in the chest bone?

Surviving a stab wound to the chest bone is highly unlikely. The chest bone is located in close proximity to vital organs such as the heart and lungs, and any injury to these organs can be fatal. Additionally, the force required to penetrate the chest bone can also cause damage to these vital organs, making survival even more unlikely.

3. Are there any cases of someone actually penetrating another person's chest bone?

There are no documented cases of someone successfully penetrating another person's chest bone. While it may be possible in very rare, extreme circumstances, it is not something that has been reported or documented.

4. Can a person survive a stab wound to the chest bone with medical intervention?

In some cases, a person may be able to survive a stab wound to the chest bone with immediate medical intervention. However, this would depend on the severity and location of the injury, as well as the speed and effectiveness of medical treatment. It is still a highly dangerous and life-threatening injury.

5. Is it possible for a person to survive a stab wound to the chest bone in a fictional scenario?

In a fictional scenario, anything is possible. However, it is important to note that this scenario would still be highly unlikely and not based on realistic medical science. In most cases, a stab wound to the chest bone would result in death or serious injury in both real life and fictional scenarios.