Help with imaginary and complex numbers

In summary, imaginary numbers are numbers expressed as a multiple of the imaginary unit i, used in science to solve equations that cannot be solved with only real numbers. They are a subset of complex numbers, which can be written in the form a + bi. Operations on these numbers are performed by combining like terms, using the distributive property, and multiplying by the conjugate of the denominator. In real-world applications, they are used in physics, engineering, and finance. They can also be graphed on a traditional x-y plane in the form of the complex plane or Argand diagram.
SpeedeRi2
If someone could give me some notes explaining about them that i could follow so i can do my homework and stuff it would be appreciated! I don't understand them at the moment b/c i don't understand the teacher, which is definately my problem. So it would be nice if i could get an explanation that i can understand!

Physics news on Phys.org
http://www.ping.be/~ping1339/index.html#Main-Purpose-=-MATH-

hi, check out this site...

marlon

Last edited by a moderator:

Sure, no problem! Imaginary and complex numbers can be a bit confusing at first, but with some practice and explanation, you'll be able to understand them.

First, let's start with imaginary numbers. These are numbers that involve the imaginary unit, denoted by "i". This unit is defined as the square root of -1. So, whenever you see "i" in a number, you know it represents the square root of -1.

For example, the number 3i is an imaginary number because it has the imaginary unit "i" in it. Another example is -5i, because it also has the imaginary unit "i" in it.

Now, let's move on to complex numbers. These are numbers that involve both a real part and an imaginary part. They are written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part. The letter "a" represents a real number, and "b" represents a coefficient that is multiplied by the imaginary unit "i".

For example, the number 2 + 4i is a complex number because it has both a real part (2) and an imaginary part (4i). Another example is -3 + 7i, because it also has both a real part (-3) and an imaginary part (7i).

Now, let's talk about some basic operations with imaginary and complex numbers.

1. Addition and Subtraction: When adding or subtracting imaginary or complex numbers, you simply combine the real parts and the imaginary parts separately. For example, (3 + 2i) + (5 + 3i) = 8 + 5i.

2. Multiplication: When multiplying imaginary or complex numbers, you use the FOIL method, just like you would with binomials. For example, (3 + 2i)(5 + 3i) = 15 + 9i + 10i + 6i^2. Remember that i^2 = -1, so this simplifies to 15 + 19i - 6 = 9 + 19i.

3. Division: To divide imaginary or complex numbers, you need to rationalize the denominator. This means getting rid of any imaginary units in the denominator. To do this, you multiply the numerator and denominator by the conjugate of the denominator. The conjugate of a + bi is

Related to Help with imaginary and complex numbers

1. What are imaginary numbers and why do we use them in science?

Imaginary numbers are numbers that are expressed as a multiple of the imaginary unit i, which is defined as the square root of -1. We use them in science to solve equations that cannot be solved with only real numbers, such as finding the roots of negative numbers.

2. What is the difference between imaginary and complex numbers?

Imaginary numbers are a subset of complex numbers, which also include real numbers. Complex numbers are numbers that can be written in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit. Imaginary numbers are purely imaginary, meaning they do not have a real component (a = 0).

3. How do we perform operations on imaginary and complex numbers?

To add or subtract imaginary and complex numbers, we simply combine like terms. To multiply, we use the distributive property and the fact that i^2 = -1. To divide, we multiply by the conjugate of the denominator. For example, (3 + 4i) / (2 + 5i) would become [(3 + 4i) * (2 - 5i)] / [(2 + 5i) * (2 - 5i)] = (6 + 8i - 15i - 20i^2) / (4 - 25i^2) = (-14 - 7i) / 29.

4. How are imaginary and complex numbers used in real-world applications?

Imaginary and complex numbers are used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, and finance. In physics, they are used to describe phenomena such as alternating current and quantum mechanics. In engineering, they are used in signal processing and control systems. In finance, they are used in options pricing and risk analysis.

5. Can imaginary and complex numbers be graphed on a traditional x-y plane?

Yes, imaginary and complex numbers can be graphed on a traditional x-y plane, with the real component on the x-axis and the imaginary component on the y-axis. The resulting graph is called the complex plane, or the Argand diagram.