Help wih relativity formula?

In summary, the individual is looking for a formula to calculate the peak speed and time dilation for a spacecraft traveling to another solar system at a constant acceleration of 1 G for half the distance and deceleration for the remaining half. They also mention the idea of designing the spacecraft to maintain a constant "gravity" for the crew during both phases of the trip. They are also seeking to incorporate the acceleration over time into the formula for time dilation and have found a helpful resource on the subject.
MelissaBlaze
Hi,
If I want my spacecraft to accelerate at a rate that produces 1 G for a set distance (half way to another solar system) then decelerate at the same rate for the second half of the trip, what formula would I use? I would like to calculate the peak speed of the ship and the time dilation experienced by the crew.

My thoughts are to design the spacecraft so that the crew would experience Earth like 'gravity' while it accelerates, then at the half way point, the ship would flip 180 degrees so the crew would continue to experience the same 'gravity' while it slows for the second half of the trip. I also need to know how much time will pass for the crew. phyzguy gave me the formula for the time dilation but I don't know how to incorporate acceleration over time into it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you for the link

Related to Help wih relativity formula?

1. What is the relativity formula?

The relativity formula is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between space and time. It was developed by Albert Einstein in his theory of relativity and is commonly known as E=mc².

2. How does the relativity formula work?

The relativity formula works by showing how energy (E) and mass (m) are equivalent and can be converted into one another. This formula states that energy is equal to mass multiplied by the speed of light squared (c²).

3. Why is the relativity formula important?

The relativity formula is important because it revolutionized our understanding of the universe. It explains how space and time are interconnected and how energy and matter are fundamentally related. This formula has also been confirmed by numerous experiments and has practical applications in fields such as nuclear energy and GPS technology.

4. What are the implications of the relativity formula?

The relativity formula has many implications, including the concept of time dilation, meaning time passes differently for objects moving at different speeds. It also explains the phenomenon of mass-energy equivalence, which is the basis for nuclear energy. Additionally, the formula has led to the development of technologies such as GPS and particle accelerators.

5. Can the relativity formula be understood by non-scientists?

While the relativity formula may seem complex, it can be understood by anyone with a basic understanding of algebra and physics. There are also many resources available, such as books and videos, that can help explain the formula in simpler terms. However, a full understanding of the formula may require a background in advanced mathematics and physics.