Help understanding this extrapolation technique

• A
  • Thread starter lostinphysics44
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Extrapolation
In summary, the conversation discusses a technique that removes the dependence of sample rate from the solution by using a semi-implicit method. This method is accurate to O(h^3) and has improved stability compared to forward difference methods. The conversation also touches on how to plot the radius change over time in MATLAB and mentions using an extrapolation technique to approximate the derivative. The steps for implementing this technique are outlined and it is mentioned that for times prior to the start, the radius can be assumed to be either 0 or r0.
lostinphysics44
upload_2016-5-20_8-15-57.png

upload_2016-5-20_8-16-25.png
upload_2016-5-20_8-13-49.png

upload_2016-5-20_8-14-5.png

Trying to understand what is going on here, and how this technique removes the dependence of sample rate from the solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you Taylor expand out the function in time, you get for time step h:
##r(t+h) = r(t) + h r'(t) + \frac{h^2}{2} r''(t) + \frac{h^3}{3!} r'''(t)...\\
r(t - h) = r(t) - h r'(t) + \frac{h^2}{2} r''(t) -\frac{h^3}{3!} r'''(t)... \\
r(t-2h) = r(t) - 2h r'(t) + \frac{4h^2}{2} r''(t) -\frac{8h^3}{3!} r'''(t)... ##
##3r(t) - 3r(t-h) + r(t-2h) = r(t) +h r'(t) + \frac{h^2}{2} r''(t) -\frac{5h^3}{6} r'''(t)... ##
So you can see this scheme is accurate to ##\mathcal{O}(h^3). ##

The benefit of this method is that it looks like an semi-implicit method, which should become stable regardless the sample rate. The accuracy will still be dependent on sample rate, but the stability is much improved compared to forward difference methods.

RUber said:
If you Taylor expand out the function in time, you get for time step h:
##r(t+h) = r(t) + h r'(t) + \frac{h^2}{2} r''(t) + \frac{h^3}{3!} r'''(t)...\\
r(t - h) = r(t) - h r'(t) + \frac{h^2}{2} r''(t) -\frac{h^3}{3!} r'''(t)... \\
r(t-2h) = r(t) - 2h r'(t) + \frac{4h^2}{2} r''(t) -\frac{8h^3}{3!} r'''(t)... ##
##3r(t) - 3r(t-h) + r(t-2h) = r(t) +h r'(t) + \frac{h^2}{2} r''(t) -\frac{5h^3}{6} r'''(t)... ##
So you can see this scheme is accurate to ##\mathcal{O}(h^3). ##

The benefit of this method is that it looks like an semi-implicit method, which should become stable regardless the sample rate. The accuracy will still be dependent on sample rate, but the stability is much improved compared to forward difference methods.
Would it be possible to plot the radius change over time in matlab? How would I go about doing that?

In the attachment, the equation marked (6.46) says
##\frac{dr_1}{dt} = f(\hat r _1, t_1).##
Do you know that function? If not, you can approximate the derivatives simply, but you lose some accuracy.Here is a rough code for the approximation:
-------------------------------------------------------------

function R = bubble(r0,r1,r2, N, dt)
% the output of will be a Nx2 matrix with the first column as the radius
% and the second column the first derivative in time. Inputs are the radius
% at three known times (r1,r2,r3), the number of timesteps (N),
% the step size (dt), and the function f.

%initialize with initial conditions
rnow = r2;
rnowless1 = r1;
rnowless2 = r0;

R = zeros(N+3,1);
R(1) = r0;
R(2) = r1;
R(3) = r2;
%timestep routine
for step = 1:N
% guess at rnext.
rhat = 3*rnow -3*rnowless1 + rnowless2; %eq 6.46 from text
rbardot = (rhat-rnowless1)/(2*dt); %this is the same as [(rhat-rnow)/dt + (rnow-rnowless1)/dt]/2
rnext = rnow + rbardot*dt;
R(step+3) = rnext; %save radius data.
% reset for new step
rnowless2 = rnowless1;
rnowless1 = rnow;
rnow = rnext;
end

plot(0:dt:(N+2)*dt,R);
end

Likes lostinphysics44
RUber said:
In the attachment, the equation marked (6.46) says
##\frac{dr_1}{dt} = f(\hat r _1, t_1).##
Do you know that function? If not, you can approximate the derivatives simply, but you lose some accuracy.

The function is the overall bubble size as it relates to a variety of factors (pressure, time, viscosity, tissue tension, etc) I am trying to understand how to plot the radius over time as pressure changes. From what you explained it seems that at each dt there is a pressure (which I can set based on my ascent or descent rate) that I can plug into the equation and get a new radius of bubble. Am I supposed to calculate the output of that equation using the extrapolation technique you just explained?
upload_2016-5-24_8-30-43.png

So my steps in MATLAB as far as I can tell would be:
  1. Set dt timestep
  2. set pressure rate (PT in the equation, Po is the initial pressure)
  3. plug that into the 6.46 equation and solve to get a radius value
  4. use that radius value as the new initial radius and repeat until the time or pressure ends.
The paper I am reading says that dr/dt is a first order non linear differential equation solved using the trapezoid rule. Is that separate from what you described with your previous response?

That seems to work, remember that you are using the approximation ##\hat r_1 ## to approximate the derivative, so plug that estimate (based on prior r data) into the formula for dr/dt.
Once you have that estimate for dr/dt, you apply the averaging and approximation in 6.48 and 6.49.

Assuming you know the previous time data ##r_{i-1},r_{i-2},r_{i-3}##:
1. Set dt timestep.
2. Set pressure rate.
3. Calculate approximation ##\hat r_i## based on previous r information.
4. Use formula with pressure and ##\hat r_i## or ## r_{i-1}## to get ##\frac{dr_i}{dt}## and ##\frac{dr_{i-1}}{dt}##
5. Use equation 6.48 to get average rate of change for the timestep.
6. Use equation 6.49 to approximate ##r_i##.

RUber said:
That seems to work, remember that you are using the approximation ##\hat r_1 ## to approximate the derivative, so plug that estimate (based on prior r data) into the formula for dr/dt.
Once you have that estimate for dr/dt, you apply the averaging and approximation in 6.48 and 6.49.

Assuming you know the previous time data ##r_{i-1},r_{i-2},r_{i-3}##:
1. Set dt timestep.
2. Set pressure rate.
3. Calculate approximation ##\hat r_i## based on previous r information.
4. Use formula with pressure and ##\hat r_i## or ## r_{i-1}## to get ##\frac{dr_i}{dt}## and ##\frac{dr_{i-1}}{dt}##
5. Use equation 6.48 to get average rate of change for the timestep.
6. Use equation 6.49 to approximate ##r_i##.
In order for this to work I have to assume a starting bubble radius yes? This is probably not the right forum for this, but think if i took a shot at a MATLAB script you could look it over for me?

Based on the example, it looks like you would want to have the radius at the first 3 times. You can surely assume that r = 0 or r = r0 for times prior to start.
Yes, I can look at a script for you.

RUber said:
Based on the example, it looks like you would want to have the radius at the first 3 times. You can surely assume that r = 0 or r = r0 for times prior to start.
Yes, I can look at a script for you.

Quick question:

upload_2016-5-24_8-30-43-png.101199.png

in this equation, how do I solve it to get the dr_i/dt and dr_i-1/dt so that I can plug them into the averaging formula? I know everything and all the constants but what is the MATLAB way to solve this?

If you know ##r_{i-1}##, you just plug it in. There is nothing to solve.
For the current (i) timestep, you don't know ##r_i##, so you use the ##\hat r_i## that you already computed.

Related to Help understanding this extrapolation technique

1. What is an extrapolation technique?

An extrapolation technique is a mathematical or statistical method used to estimate values beyond the known data points. It involves extending a trend or pattern in the data to make predictions about future or past values.

2. When is an extrapolation technique used?

An extrapolation technique is used when there is a need to make predictions or projections beyond the available data. It is commonly used in fields such as economics, finance, and science to forecast trends and make informed decisions.

3. How does an extrapolation technique work?

Extrapolation techniques use mathematical equations or statistical models to identify patterns and trends in the data. These patterns are then extended beyond the known data points to estimate future or past values.

4. What are the limitations of extrapolation techniques?

Extrapolation techniques are based on the assumption that the trends and patterns observed in the data will continue in the future or past. However, this may not always be the case, and the predictions may be inaccurate. Additionally, extrapolation techniques do not take into account external factors that may affect the data.

5. How can the accuracy of extrapolation techniques be improved?

The accuracy of extrapolation techniques can be improved by using more advanced mathematical models and including external factors that may affect the data. It is also important to regularly review and update the extrapolation technique to ensure its relevance and accuracy.