Extrapolation back to T zero, before 1980

In summary, the question is about how accurately the Hot Big Bang theories before 1980 could be extrapolated back to T zero. In his book, Alan Guth recounts a lecture by Robert Dicke in 1978 that set the benchmark at 1 second from T zero. The question is how this benchmark was set before Guth's 1980 papers on Inflationary theory, which enabled extrapolation back to 10-35 seconds. However, the development of inflationary models did not significantly impact our ability to extrapolate into the past. Before inflation, we could only trust extrapolation back to the time of primordial nucleosynthesis. Inflation does not improve our ability to extrapolate because it sets up initial conditions for the
Cerenkov
Hello.

I have a question about how close (in time) the Hot Big Bang theories formulated before 1980 could be reliably extrapolated to T zero.

In his book... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Inflationary_Universe ...Alan Guth recounts a lecture by Robert Dicke in 1978 which set the benchmark at 1 second from T zero.

I'd like to learn more (in basic terms please) about how this benchmark was set before Guth's 1980 papers on Inflationary theory, which enabled extrapolation back to 10-35 seconds.

Thanks for any help given,

Cerenkov.

Space news on Phys.org
Cerenkov said:
Hello.

I have a question about how close (in time) the Hot Big Bang theories formulated before 1980 could be reliably extrapolated to T zero.

In his book... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Inflationary_Universe ...Alan Guth recounts a lecture by Robert Dicke in 1978 which set the benchmark at 1 second from T zero.

I'd like to learn more (in basic terms please) about how this benchmark was set before Guth's 1980 papers on Inflationary theory, which enabled extrapolation back to 10-35 seconds.

Thanks for any help given,

Cerenkov.
I don't think the development of inflationary models really had an impact on how much we could extrapolate into the past.

Before inflation was conceived of, extrapolation into the past could only be really trusted back to the time of primordial nucleosynthesis (which took place in the first few minutes), because this was the earliest period which was measured by observation. This hasn't changed at all. It might change at some time in the future if we learn the properties of the dark matter particle. But for now, we just can't say all that much about the very early universe.

Inflation doesn't improve our ability to extrapolate back into the past because it isn't extrapolating backward: it's a model which sets up some initial conditions for the later evolution of the universe as described by the Big Bang theory. We can't extrapolate back to the time of inflation, because the stuff that caused inflation isn't around any longer (at least, it isn't measurable).

Likes krater
Thanks on two counts, kimbyd.

First, for correcting my misunderstanding of this issue and second for doing so within an hour!

I appreciate the speed and clarity of your reply.

Cerenkov.

Likes rootone

Related to Extrapolation back to T zero, before 1980

1. What is extrapolation back to T zero?

Extrapolation back to T zero is the process of using mathematical models to estimate data points that occurred before the start of a recorded dataset, in this case before the year 1980. This is often done to gain a better understanding of trends and patterns in the data.

2. Why is extrapolation back to T zero important?

Extrapolation back to T zero allows scientists to fill in missing data points and gain a more complete understanding of a dataset. It also helps to make predictions and identify potential trends that may have occurred before the recorded data began.

3. How is extrapolation back to T zero performed?

Extrapolation back to T zero is typically performed using mathematical techniques such as linear regression, curve fitting, or time series analysis. These methods use the existing data to make predictions about what may have occurred before the recorded data began.

4. What are the limitations of extrapolation back to T zero?

Extrapolation back to T zero is based on assumptions and may not always accurately predict data points before the recorded dataset. It is important to consider the accuracy and reliability of the data being used for extrapolation and to be aware of potential errors or biases.

5. How is extrapolation back to T zero used in scientific research?

Extrapolation back to T zero is commonly used in various fields of science, such as climate research, economics, and epidemiology. It allows scientists to gain a better understanding of past events and make predictions about future trends. However, it should be used with caution and the limitations and potential biases should always be considered.