Help for the Homework Helpers?

• Thread starter AngelShare
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed the possibility of implementing an "I've been helped" system on the forum where students can mark threads as solved to attract the attention of homework helpers. However, it was argued that relying on students to use this system may not be effective as many students may not bother to use it after receiving help. A better approach suggested was to have a student-activated "I STILL NEED HELP" flag that can be turned off by a Mentor or Homework Helper upon resolution. This would also solve the issue of students bumping their threads to get more attention. Another suggestion was to have the flag expire after a certain period of time if the student does not return to turn it off.
AngelShare
I was wondering, would it be possible for there to be an "I've been helped" system in which threads can be marked so that those who haven't gotten help can attract the right attention? For example, I still need help but my latest thread makes it appear as though I've already been helped because it's three pages long... What if it was marked or unmarked so that homework helpers could know which threads they need to check? Just thought I'd throw it out there.:redface:

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't answer whether it's possible, but I do like the idea. Something that a student can click on that says, "Problem solved, thanks!" Maybe a big gold star or something like that could show up in the topic index. :smile: I know not all students would bother, but at least it'll help sort through some to identify ones more likely to still need help vs those that the student has positively identified as solved and can be ignored.

Thanks, I'm glad you like it.:smile:

Right after I posted that I thought, "What if a student doesn't click said button?" and then thought, "Ah, what if the homework helper were to click it once they think the problem has been fully addressed?":biggrin:

There is a problem with that system, though. We have many people who simply "ask and run" and never come back. And then we have people who simply won't tell us anything. And then we have people who just don't read instructions.

So we could end up with TONS of those signs indicating that they haven't been helped, when in reality, they have.

And having the Homework Helper indicating that a question has been answered doesn't work. What if the helping thinks one way, but the person who asked doesn't think the question has been answered?

My suggestion is, if your question hasn't been answered, then say that explicitly in the thread and make it address that issue. If your thread has been hijacked to discussing another problem and not the you posed, report it!

Zz.

Moonbear said:
I know not all students would bother

That's why this idea was shot down when Doc Al proposed it some time ago. If we rely on the students to use the system then we will most likely end up in the same boat as we are in right now. A 3 page thread that hasn't been resolved will still tend to be overlooked.

If you are going to rely on the students to use the system then they have to have some incentive to use it. I think a better approach would be to implement a student-activated "I STILL NEED HELP" flag, which a Mentor or Homework Helper can turn off upon resolution.

Whaddya think about that?

How about if helpers mark it at their discretion, but if the poster is still having trouble they could unmark it?

That would have the same problem as the original suggestion. I know from experience that most students who come here for help aren't going to voluntarily take extra steps that don't result in them getting more help. Once most students get the help they need they forget about the thread and about PF until the next time they need help.

Tom Mattson said:
(snip)I think a better approach would be to implement a student-activated "I STILL NEED HELP" flag, which a Mentor or Homework Helper can turn off upon resolution.

That also resolves the question, "Is this thread so old that any comment now is a waste of my time?"

maybe if you have that "i still need help flag" it shouldn't be an option until the thread's been around for say 24 hours, or has so many posts. like its just a greyed button until then. so not every thread has one, and only people sticking around for answers can use it? i think that'd be really helpful.

Tom Mattson said:
That's why this idea was shot down when Doc Al proposed it some time ago. If we rely on the students to use the system then we will most likely end up in the same boat as we are in right now. A 3 page thread that hasn't been resolved will still tend to be overlooked.

If you are going to rely on the students to use the system then they have to have some incentive to use it. I think a better approach would be to implement a student-activated "I STILL NEED HELP" flag, which a Mentor or Homework Helper can turn off upon resolution.

I guess I was thinking the student activated "Problem Solved" flag wouldn't solve the problem entirely, but could at least narrow the field. But, I like your solution better. It also solves the problem of students who feel they need to keep bumping their thread up to the top of the page when it isn't getting attention (though, yes, usually those are the ones where everyone is ignoring it because they haven't shown any work, but it's a less annoying way of accomplishing the same thing). Then, the question is, when would it get turned off? Would it be when someone replies? I guess then the student could keep turning it back on if their problem still isn't solved, and if they never return, it just goes off and stays off.

Would it help if the permanent, student-activated flag, instead of being deleted when someone replies, was replaced with a flag that expires, say, in a day? It seems that with the flag being deleted, people might tend to get only one response each time they activate the flag. I'm not suggesting the flags would need to look different, just function differently.

Tom Mattson said:
I think a better approach would be to implement a student-activated "I STILL NEED HELP" flag, which a Mentor or Homework Helper can turn off upon resolution.

Tom Matton said:
Thanks, I'm glad you like it.:smile:

Right after I posted that I thought, "What if a student doesn't click said button?" and then thought, "Ah, what if the homework helper were to click it once they think the problem has been fully addressed?":biggrin:

I had the same idea.:biggrin: :wink:

Tom Mattson said:
That would have the same problem as the original suggestion. I know from experience that most students who come here for help aren't going to voluntarily take extra steps that don't result in them getting more help. Once most students get the help they need they forget about the thread and about PF until the next time they need help.

Well, I suppose threads that haven't been unmarked/marked would just get a second check. If the H.H. sees that the thread is done, they could mark/unmark it themselves.:smile:

The main idea behind this is to help those who need help get it, really.:smile:

I don't know how feasible it would be, but I think a problem resolved flag could be tied to the student's cookie.

Assuming a hit-and-run where the responses provided answer the question
Student posts question.
Some time later, a homework helper posts a response. This triggers a flag for activation.
Student logs in later and checks their thread. If they don't respond, the 'problem solved' flag activates. If they do respond, it will turn off.
If the problem is not really solved, the student can reset the flag if they want.

The OP and mentors have access to flip the flags whenever.
Homework helpers can flip the flags after a time period and/or after the flag is initially triggered.

It won't be perfect, but the goal isn't implementing a perfect solution... just cutting down on the threads that the helpers need to check.

Last edited:
You could also use multi moderation. With a click of a button, you post an automatic response "problem solved" or similar and the thread title gets a prefix "[Solved]" or simmilar. The moderators could decide when the question is answered and use multimoderation. The automatic message could also contani ex. "If you want to ask something else, please start a new topic" or simmilar. Besides PF probably has FTP access so they could do it differently.

Moonbear said:
I can't answer whether it's possible

Who can and where are they?:-p :smile:

The administrators, Greg and chroot, would have to determine if structural changes are feasible.

I would like to add something that indicates attachments need approval. I and other have had to wait for some time for a poster's attachments to be approved. And I'd rather not pester mentors with PMs.

Would it be feasible to give "Homework Helpers" permissions to approve attachments, but only in the HW directories?

Related to Help for the Homework Helpers?

1. How can "Help for the Homework Helpers" benefit me as a tutor or teacher?

As a tutor or teacher, "Help for the Homework Helpers" can provide you with additional resources and strategies to assist you in effectively helping students with their homework. It can also offer tips on how to handle challenging situations and improve your overall teaching skills.

2. Is "Help for the Homework Helpers" only for academic subjects or can it help with other types of homework?

"Help for the Homework Helpers" is designed to assist with all types of homework, including academic subjects, projects, and assignments. It offers general tips and strategies that can be applied to any type of homework, regardless of the subject or grade level.

3. How can I access "Help for the Homework Helpers"?

You can access "Help for the Homework Helpers" through various mediums, such as online resources, books, workshops, and conferences. You can also seek guidance and support from experienced educators or join online communities to exchange ideas and strategies.

4. Can "Help for the Homework Helpers" benefit parents and guardians as well?

Yes, "Help for the Homework Helpers" can be beneficial for parents and guardians who want to support their children with their homework. It can provide them with tips and strategies to assist their children in a constructive and effective manner.

5. How can "Help for the Homework Helpers" help improve the overall homework experience for students?

"Help for the Homework Helpers" can equip tutors, teachers, and parents with the necessary tools and techniques to effectively support students with their homework. By using these resources and strategies, students can develop better study habits, improve their understanding of the material, and ultimately have a more positive and successful homework experience.