I think members creating a thread should be discouraged, or even

• Thread starter tiny-tim
  • Start date
In summary, I believe that members should be discouraged from using tags, as they are mostly used to find answers rather than questions. New members should only be allowed to add tags after they've answered a question, and only by helpers and above.
tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I think members creating a thread should be discouraged, or even banned, from inserting tags.

A tag search should reveal useful information, but at present it reveals mostly a lot of questions on the subject that haven't been usefully answered.

I suspect that new members think that the tag facility wouldn't be there if they weren't intended to use it, and that using it will help them to get an answer … some seem to insert as many tags as possible.

However, I suspect that nobody looking for a thread to help on actually uses the tags to do so … that the tags are actually used only to find answers, rather than questions!

IMO, it would be better if tags were only added after the question had been answered (or during the answering), once it has become clear that the thread will be helpful to readers studying the subject. And perhaps only by Homework Helpers and above.

But maybe I'm wrong about how people use the tag search facility? :redface: What do other members (helpers and helpees) think?​

Physics news on Phys.org

This is probably the stupidest thing that I've ever posted, but I honestly don't know what a "tag" is. I've used links to ImageShack, and addresses to other posts, but I have no clue about tags. :redface:

Danger said:
This is probably the stupidest thing that I've ever posted, but I honestly don't know what a "tag" is. I've used links to ImageShack, and addresses to other posts, but I have no clue about tags. :redface:

When you create a new thread, you have the option to use up to five different "tags", which are keywords that, when somebody uses the search function, will hopefully direct the searcher towards your thread.

I never bother with them and surely the search engine that comes with the forum (or the google one) would be able to categorise threads a lot more efficiently than some of the tags I've seen on some posts.

Thanks, Ant.

Out of respect, I would normally address you as "Mr. Freeze", but that brings up visions of Schwartzenegger that are best forgotten.

Related to I think members creating a thread should be discouraged, or even

What is the purpose of discouraging or even prohibiting members from creating threads?

The purpose of discouraging or even prohibiting members from creating threads is to maintain a more organized and focused discussion on a particular topic. This can also prevent spam or irrelevant content from flooding the forum.

How can discouraging thread creation affect member participation?

Discouraging thread creation can potentially decrease member participation, as it may limit the opportunities for members to start new discussions and share their thoughts and opinions. However, it can also encourage members to actively participate in existing threads and engage in more meaningful discussions.

Can discouraging thread creation hinder the growth and diversity of a forum?

Discouraging thread creation may limit the growth and diversity of a forum, as it may discourage new members from joining and participating. However, it can also attract more serious and engaged members who are interested in contributing to existing discussions rather than creating new ones.

What are some potential alternatives to discouraging thread creation?

Instead of outright prohibiting thread creation, forum moderators can implement guidelines and rules for thread creation to ensure that discussions remain relevant and productive. They can also encourage members to use existing threads or suggest merging similar threads to avoid clutter.

How can discouraging thread creation benefit the overall quality of a forum?

Discouraging thread creation can benefit the overall quality of a forum by promoting more thoughtful and in-depth discussions. It can also reduce the amount of duplicate or repetitive content, making it easier for members to find and contribute to relevant discussions.