Helical Twist Vertical Axis Wind Turbine - Generator Matching

In summary, the conversation discusses a vertical axis wind turbine with a 180deg helical twist that has a high wind catching ability but low efficiency in converting wind power to electrical power. The main issue is believed to be the use of a dc motor as a generator, with a desired output of 4.5V and 0.25A. The motor is rated at 800rpm/V and a variable resistor was used to find the peak power. The current pulley system has a ratio of 5.2:1 and includes a basic pulley with an elastic band. The speaker is seeking help to improve the efficiency.
FanMan
Hello

I have designed a vertical axis wind turbine (Savonius) with a 180deg helical twist. It catches the wind really well but the wind power to electrical power conversion is really poor, it is currently only at 4% efficiency. I think the problem is the dc motor that I am using as a generator. I currently have a no load voltage of about 4.5V and a short circuit current of 0.02A at a wind speed of 6-7m/s. Ideally I'd like 4.5V, 0.25A so that I can power a mobile phone via USB. The motor is rated at 800rpm/V. I used a variable resistor to find the peak power, this occurs with a 60Ω load resistance and is 0.07W (2.26V, 0.034A). Also I am currently using a pulley system with a ratio of 5.2:1, it is a basic pulley with an elastic band. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi, FanMan;
I know nothing about the subject, so I probably won't be of any help. Just wondering, though, if you've experimented with altering the pulley ratio.

Related to Helical Twist Vertical Axis Wind Turbine - Generator Matching

1. What is a helical twist vertical axis wind turbine?

A helical twist vertical axis wind turbine (HAWT) is a type of wind turbine that has blades shaped like a helix, allowing it to capture wind from any direction. It is a vertical axis turbine, meaning the rotor shaft is perpendicular to the ground, unlike traditional horizontal axis turbines.

2. How does a helical twist vertical axis wind turbine work?

A HAWT works by using the force of wind to rotate the blades, which are connected to a rotor shaft. As the blades rotate, the rotor shaft turns a generator to produce electricity. The helical shape of the blades allows them to capture wind from any direction, making the turbine more efficient.

3. What is the importance of matching the generator to the helical twist vertical axis wind turbine?

The generator must be matched to the HAWT to ensure maximum efficiency and power output. If the generator is too small, it may not be able to handle the amount of energy produced by the turbine, leading to a potential decrease in performance. If the generator is too large, it may be more expensive and unnecessary for the amount of energy the turbine can produce.

4. What factors determine the appropriate generator for a helical twist vertical axis wind turbine?

The appropriate generator for a HAWT is determined by factors such as the size and weight of the turbine, the wind speed and direction at the installation site, and the desired power output. It is also important to consider the cut-in and cut-out wind speeds, as well as the efficiency of the generator at different wind speeds.

5. How can I ensure proper matching of the generator to my helical twist vertical axis wind turbine?

To ensure proper matching, it is recommended to consult with a qualified engineer or wind turbine manufacturer. They will be able to determine the appropriate generator size and type based on the specific characteristics and needs of your HAWT. Additionally, researching and comparing different generator options can also help in making an informed decision.