Vertical axis wind turbine design, torque help

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties of predicting the torque and efficiency for a modified vertical axis wind turbine design. The equation for torque initially used gave a 100 percent efficiency value, which was incorrect. The proper definition of efficiency for a wind turbine involves the comparison of the total amount of work that could be extracted from a wind field to the actual amount produced by the turbine. The use of an average torque equation for angles from 0 to 360 may be necessary. Some helpful links are suggested for further information.
Bstudent91
Hi i am currently doing my dissertation in which i am designing a vertical axis wind turbine design that is a modification of that of a savonius design. A major problem that i am having is being able to predict the torque value of torque for my design in order for me to then predict the efficiency. I calculated the torque initially using the equation Torque = power/ angular velocity but this then went on to give me a 100 percent efficiency value which obviously is wrong.

Any help would be fantastic thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Power is defined as torque times angular velocity. The proper definition of efficiency for your wind turbine will lie in some other formulation. For instance, what is the total amount of work which could be extracted from a given wind field versus the amount of work actually produced by the wind turbine?

Ft= 1/2 CtρchW^2 how about calculating the tangential force then the average toruqe:

then have to use some sort of average torque equation for angles from 0 to 360 then take an average ?

Thanks a lot for the reply.

Related to Vertical axis wind turbine design, torque help

1. What is the difference between a vertical axis wind turbine and a horizontal axis wind turbine?

A vertical axis wind turbine has its rotor shaft perpendicular to the ground, whereas a horizontal axis wind turbine has its rotor shaft parallel to the ground. This difference in orientation affects the design and operation of the turbines, with vertical axis turbines typically being more suitable for urban or low wind speed areas.

2. How does the design of a vertical axis wind turbine affect its efficiency?

The design of a vertical axis wind turbine, specifically the shape and size of the blades, can greatly impact its efficiency. A well-designed turbine will be able to capture more wind energy and convert it into rotational motion, resulting in a higher torque output.

3. What factors should be considered when designing a vertical axis wind turbine?

When designing a vertical axis wind turbine, factors such as blade shape and size, placement of the turbine, wind speed and direction, and the material used for the blades must all be taken into account. These factors will determine the efficiency, durability, and overall performance of the turbine.

4. How does torque play a role in the operation of a vertical axis wind turbine?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force produced by the turbine's blades. In a vertical axis wind turbine, torque is necessary to generate electricity by rotating a generator. The higher the torque output, the more electricity the turbine can produce.

5. Can the torque output of a vertical axis wind turbine be increased?

Yes, the torque output of a vertical axis wind turbine can be increased through various design modifications such as increasing the blade length, altering the blade shape, or adding multiple rotor layers. However, these modifications must be carefully considered to ensure they do not negatively impact the overall efficiency of the turbine.